Question for electricians

nheather

Distinguished Member
I have some LED lamps in the soffits of the conservatory to light the patio area. They have been in less than a year.

One lamp has started flashing, I don’t mean flickering but a distinct on-off-on-off pattern. The others on the same light switch are fine.

Any idea what could cause this?

Cheers,

Nigel

Jamie

Distinguished Member
99.9% that's a failure and possible warranty job.

They do sometimes fail do6 it could be as simple as just replacing the unit and just "one of those things"
Some more info might help with suggestions on possible mitigating factors.

What exactly do you have installed, are they integrated mains voltage LED fittings, an LED lamp in a fitting (I.e. GU10 in a downlight).

Are the lights IP rated, in addition an IP rated downlight would normally be rated for below the void they're installed into, is the void above the soffit a dry are because the back of the fitting is unlikely to be IP rated.

Is the void free space, a big enemy of LED fittings is heat, of there's no where for the heat to go it could drastically shorten the life of the lights, similar story with insulation trapping heat.

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
Not sure, trying to get the building back.

It is a sealed unit, so even if I were to decide to fix it myself I have no idea how to remove it from the soffit and what to replace it with so it matches the others.

It has barely been used, only been on a handful of times and only for a few minutes at a time, so I doubt it is heat related. It also failed while it was off (or the instant it was turned on) - it was fine the last time we used it and then started flashing as soon as it was next turned on.

Cheers,

Nigel

ufo550

Could be just a dodgy fitting. However, I had the misfortune to trust a particular manufacturer and installed loads of their down lights (a specific model). They had some sort of design fault, and were failing all over the country.

Apart from the above, most of these sealed luminaries last for quite sometime, years. If they are going to fail, it’s after a very short period of time.

Most down lights are held in place by spring clips etc. You just pull them out rocking from side to side. Mind your fingers, as they can bit. If in the soffit, might be wise for someone else to climb up the ladder.

temsy

it was fine the last time we used it.
Isn't that usually the norm.

We have some led downlights in the kitchen, about 3 years normal use, had to replace two recently, and the beginning of the end they have started to flash.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Could be just a dodgy fitting. However, I had the misfortune to trust a particular manufacturer and installed loads of their down lights (a specific model). They had some sort of design fault, and were failing all over the country.

Apart from the above, most of these sealed luminaries last for quite sometime, years. If they are going to fail, it’s after a very short period of time.

Most down lights are held in place by spring clips etc. You just pull them out rocking from side to side. Mind your fingers, as they can bit. If in the soffit, might be wise for someone else to climb up the ladder.

Many thanks. It’s a single storey conservatory (summer room) so I can reach the soffit just standing on the ground, but maybe a chair will make it easier, no need for a ladder.

I guess they just pull out, couldn’t see any other way, but just had a quick try and I can’t even get the slightest movement using my fingers. Think it will need something flat pushing underneath to lever it out but I don’t want to risk damaging the soffit.

72675BE3-A6EE-45CA-8B75-96711EC40B54.jpeg

Cheers,

Nigel

ufo550

They normally just pull out using your finger tips, it’s sometimes a bit tight if the installation hole is not the correct size. If you have to resort to using a tool, I would seek advice from the original installer, otherwise as you state you might cause some damage.

nheather

Distinguished Member
They normally just pull out using your finger tips, it’s sometimes a bit tight if the installation hole is not the correct size. If you have to resort to using a tool, I would seek advice from the original installer, otherwise as you state you might cause some damage.

Probably my wimpy office worker fingers not up to it.

Cheers,

Nigel

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Think it will need something flat pushing underneath to lever it out but I don’t want to risk damaging the soffit.
Try a wallpaper stripper or filling knife to start a gap. If you have neither old credit cards make good prying tools that won't cause damage.

nheather

Distinguished Member
and I had you down as a practical type :laugh: ;)

Oh I understand science, technology, maths engineering and will have a go at most things. But I spend most of my time at a keyboard so I don't have strong gnarly hands. In fact down at the local gentleman's club my friends can often be heard to comment "You Sir, you have the hands of a lady" and "by golly, I do believe he does".

Waiting for the builder to come round - there is a crack in the plaster they need to check on. Failing that I would probably try a length of cord first.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom