1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Denon 3800 owners...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by UrbanT, Feb 15, 2003.

1. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Having done searches and read various threads re the 3800, has it been established absolutely that 3800's with serial numbers over xxxxx1000 are freeze and fault free, or have any owners with later models over xxxx1000 suffered problems as well? It is difficult to tell from past posts exactly the current position.

Thank for any info :)

2. darth

darth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my 3800 for two months,so far no problems.Searial No is 887
    manufactured in August 02.Have updated firmware to m/r &pal prog myself and all seems fine.A superb peice of kit.

3. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good question. I haven't heared of any case of freezing/pausing 3800 after 1000 in gold.

However many sub 1000 owners have problems.

Per

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Had mine two months also, build date Nov 02, serial number 1147...no problems to date with any discs- using Dec 02 firmware for MR and PALP

JJ

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Had a loaner May build date 3800, no problems during my time with it.
    Purchased May build date different 3800, no problems since middle January. Gave up waiting for black post fixes model when I heard the Chalfont St Peter robbery had delayed stock for weeks.
    I haven't seen any problems with either 3800 despite them being old build date models.
    It has a 2 year guarantee anyway so I'm not bothered.

6. Denon 3800

Denon 3800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guy's,

just received mine today and I can say it looks great for a standalone player, it only lacks the higer scanpossibilities
    of an htpc, but this is easilly fixed with a Holo3Dgraph card from
    Immersive. :D The player is already upgraded with a region free firmware, PAL progressive, Macrovision free and RCE proof.
    But I do need to check all these things in the next couple of weeks.

Only trouble I have is that there is not enough room on the back to use BNC with RCA jacket connectors. I use three RG59 50 Ohm coaxial cable to my Barco 808s. The picture quality is not that of an htpc, but I bought it for my wife ... she hates the htpc....to complicated. :(

The best upgrade is the sound quality compared to the htpc, I use the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, which is not in the same leaque as the Denon 3800.

Other downside for me is the rather cheap looking display, would like to see a real nice looking VFD instead of the crap they use at Denon. But hey if it play nice I'm also happy.

Next step for me would be to upgrade the sucker with a Serial Digital Interface module.

Greetz Mr. Denon

7. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have had my 3800 for about 2 weeks now.It has played all discs except one.It will not even attempt to play Region 1 'Heathers' (RCE).The player just makes lots of whirring noises then spits out the disc.I have checked a few other RCE discs and they seem to be OK.
    The serial number on my player is 2128401359
    I'm not sure when this was built.Might be a faulty disc.I will try it with my trusty old Sony 735 first

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    December 2002.

9. the thing wnn

the thing wnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +378
    Is this the replacement pressing of Heathers?
    This disc had pressing problems on its first issue and wouldn't play on most players.
    You had to send the disc back to the suppliers who would get a replacement disc from Anchor Bay and send it back to you.
    If this is the replacement disc then it could be the player, but otherwise, its probably the disc.