• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question for Denon 1906 0wners

Y Cymro

Standard Member
I'm considering buying one of these - probably from Richersounds. It will be in a different room to my tv so OSD is important to me. Does this set have OSD and can you easily change the input source and set the sound type (prologic/DTS etc) using this using the remote control?

I plan to connect audio through this, and send video signals directly to the tv via RGB scart. Is it possible to set a default for source and sound type (sky digibox and prologic IIx) which also starts when I switch on?

Is it preferred to connect audio to dvd using optical or digital coax - the connect will be only 0.75m long.

I may buy a Harmon Kardon AVR135 - has anyone compared the two?

davybaker

The 1906 does have OSD if you connect the video up through either composite or SVHS. You can assign digital coax or optical as well as analog twin phono to associated inputs for TV, DVD, STB etc. Then by selecting AUTO as a mode the amp determines which audio mode to select (digital first then analog pro-logic etc).

Video inputs can be switched quite easily on the remote as well as surround sound format if you are not happy with the auto selection. At power on the video defaults to the last selection.

dplayer

I'll second everything DavyBaker has just said, I got mine last week from EpmireDirect was only £265 delivered.

Y Cymro

Standard Member
davybaker said:
The 1906 does have OSD if you connect the video up through either composite or SVHS.

If I connect my sky digibox to the receiver using a scart to svideo cable, and the receiver to tv by svideo to scart cable, does the receiver have to be switched on for the tv to display a picture, or is there a pass through like on the rf conector in a vcr? Or will the receiver need to be in standby mode?

davybaker said:
You can assign digital coax or optical as well as analog twin phono to associated inputs for TV, DVD, STB etc. Then by selecting AUTO as a mode the amp determines which audio mode to select (digital first then analog pro-logic etc).
Video inputs can be switched quite easily on the remote as well as surround sound format if you are not happy with the auto selection. At power on the video defaults to the last selection.

Can the audio setting of prologic be stored so it is always set at switch-on, or can AUTO be set as the default at switch-on to automatically select whatever sound type I preset for the source, or does the option of sound type have to be made via the remote, or by pressing a button on the receiver?

The bottom line is I want the receiver to always be in prologic setting for sky and off air tv, and DTS or Dolby Digital when playing a DVD - and switch automatically depending on source. Or am I hoping for too much?

Oh, and the receiver's in a different room so I'll need either OSD, a simple to use remote and select options without seeing the receiver's display, or walk next door and select options manually

davybaker

You need to have the receiver on to see any video. But once turned on you should only need to use the input channel selection on the handset if you have set it up correctly.

The reciever defaults to the last used video settings. But the handset allows simple selection via one of the number keys to change this (key 4 is labelled DVD, and key 5 is labelled TV, and these are as per the inputs on the back of the amp so you could put the sky output into the TV input)

Auto audio will firstly look for any digital input connection asociated with the current video selection and so will try and get a DTS or DD5.1 bitstream first. If there is none present it will then use the analog (twin phono) connection for that video input channel, and set up the selected audio format last used in analog mode (stereo, prologic, or DTS Neo 6).

Hope this helps

Y Cymro

Standard Member
Just thought of something else :eek:

Can I use just 4 speakers (2 front/2 rear) and how will the amp deal with this. Will it send frequencies used for the sub and front channels to the 4 speakers, (i.e. 4.0 as opposed to 5.1 etc) or will I miss out on these ?

Shared

dplayer said:
I'll second everything DavyBaker has just said, I got mine last week from EpmireDirect was only £265 delivered.

I bought mine from empiredirect late last year, i have to say the service was bang on, i reviewed it on their site, i'm well chuffed with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom