Question for anybody with a soundcard feeding multiple-channel output...

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by MuFu, Dec 2, 2002.

1. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What interconnects are you guys using for front/rear output?

I only ask because I have arrived abruptly at my frist gripe about this Audigy 2 (which is otherwise great - even the drivers are reasonable, hehe). You can't get two/three fully-shielded 3.5mm plugs in the back... they just don't fit side-by-side!!! :mad:

I can't believe a card that boasts exceptional signal output quality (for a consumer-level offering, of course) is essentially incompatible with interconnects that actually maintain this high standard!

I'll do a few blind tests with some cables that actually fit in the back vs. the QED interconnect I have in there right now. Not quite sure how I can get round this without using cheap cables, which tend to make my often-overbright setup sound quite harsh on accasion.

TIA, :)

MuFu.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    My Extigy is connected using cambridge audio minidisc cables from Richer Sounds, they're good enough for me but then it's not my main source, it just hooks my laptop into the system. I think there must be more room on it. If you got the platinum upgrade, would you not have all the connectors in a drive bay on the front of your PC. That's bigger than the back of a PCI card, they must be further apart. Most high end cards come with 'dongles' hard wired onto them, or a 'breakout' second card, and take up 2 slots externally to fit all the connectors on. Creative are a bunch of silly billies with this. It's holding them back in the 6ch sound field.

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply - I agree totally; it is holding them back.

I actually owned an Audigy Platinum previous to this but gave it to my dad as he is more into music tech right now. It doesn't have multichannel output on the drive, unfortunately (apart from via the S/PDIF co-ax and optical interfaces).

I'm just tinkering with some cheopo cables now - they fit fine but it's annoying how much worse they are than the QED over a measly 1.5M!!! I guess something mid-range would suffice (maybe from Maplin, gargh!).

MuFu.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I can't understand it, they have the resources, must have the willpower, they've gone in with Lucasarts on the THX standard, but where are the serious products. A shame, cos IMHO the best route to a stable windows PC is to have no components without the creative, intel and microsoft logos on them. They know some things they keep to themselves, and get sued for it regularly!

5. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My M-Audio Delta 410 has a breakout cable which ends with female phono connectors. No problems there :) Mind you, the Audigy2 killing M-Audio revoloution looks like it may have the same problem as teh A2. ah well, you can't win 'em all!

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    *bump*

Anybody know of any decent 3.5mm stereo-to-twin RCA leads that don't have a bulky 3.5mm interconnect?

Thanks,

MuFu.

P.S. I had intended to sell-on the Denon 3802 I am receiving this week immediately, but at this rate I'll be keeping it an ditching a NAD integrated amp instead. :rolleyes: :(

7. PaulP

PaulP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > but it's annoying how much worse they are than the QED over a measly 1.5M!!!

Hi MuFu,

Why not cut them short and turn them into adaptors ? eg cut them back to a few inches, fit (quality) RCA sockets on them, and plug in high quality interconnects for the longer run.

Best regards.

Paul.

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmm... yeah, I had considered that but was wondering whether it'd be wise to add yet more physical connections. I think I'll rig up one anyway and have a listen. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

MuFu.