Question for any joiners

simplicity96

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

So im going to undertake make a bed frame. I have done some things with wood in the past and a bed frame doesnt seem too taxing on the frame work so I would like to have a go. I am looking at using either redwood or oak, if I can find a decent enough supplier (maybe someone could help here also, most im looking at are 100miles south of me and have a £120 delivery charge)

So my question is really, as part of the frame I am attatching the side rungs to the legs, the side lats will be 8x2 or there abouts and the legs 5x5". What I am thinking would be best for strength is a mortis joint here. But when I look at other beds no one uses this method of piecing them together. Is there a reason for this?

Thankd for the reply but that doesnt really answer why mortis joints are not used as standard on bed frames from wood.

I also already have the plans for the bed just wanted details on the joints etc from those experienced in doing this sort of thing. And if someone knows of a good timber supplier all the better.

Most major towns have a decent timber yard, don't know where you are based, but you should be able to find one closer than you think. I'm in Nottingham, there are 3 that I use on a regular basis for hardwoods, although I have a place in France and bring back oak and chestnut from there (it's ridiculously cheap over there). Joint wise, mortice and tenon would be a good choice. Through tenons with wedges would be advisable with wedges (obviously depending how much action said bed is going to endure)

Not a joiner, but I would guess that a m&t might be overkill for the application.? That's not to say you couldn't do that if you wanted to

Thanks for the reply

My local timber yards are small and do very little (Im near pontefract) There is leeds but most websites dont have product ranges listed when it comes to wood and I work 6 days a week so getting to them in working hours is proving difficult to see what they do. Online ordering is easier for me and collection I could sort out but calling from yard to yard is a issue at the moment.

Anyhow, with a mortis joint if used I would do it half depth of the leg and bolt from the far side for security although a tenon joint could be a option and maybe a little more astetically pleasing if done right.

I need the bed to be solid and we seem to snap all the other we are getting and havent been going for the cheapest just they dont seem to last. So I wanted to stay away from bracketed side panels as this seems to be where the weakness is. I just wondered as I have not found even any handmade beds that use anything other than bracketing for the joints.

Time and cost probably.

It's easier to drill and dowel or use big screws than to make a well fitting mortice joint I reckon.

Seems a fair assumption and one I thouhgt but in saying that with a mortis drill bit and a bit of time you get a more sturdy end result I would have thought.

I have made several beds for myself and others, using a variety of joints, brackets, depending on the cost and requirements. If using mortice and tenon, which IS quite common, you need to ensure that the joint is firmly made, either with through tenons and tapered wedges, or with a blind tenon, cross fitting of dowels through the leg, holding the tenon firmly in place. Just loose blind tenons will eventually work loose.

I have made several beds for myself and others, using a variety of joints, brackets, depending on the cost and requirements. If using mortice and tenon, which IS quite common, you need to ensure that the joint is firmly made, either with through tenons and tapered wedges, or with a blind tenon, cross fitting of dowels through the leg, holding the tenon firmly in place. Just loose blind tenons will eventually work loose.

I understood most of that haha. Ill look into what i didnt understand, if I could find someone who used this type of joint I may save myself a fair bit of work but as I say so far I have had no luck. Maybe im looking in the wrong place.

My idea was just to make the mortis 8x2 and slot the leg into it then bolt from the far side of the leg into the end of the 8x2 pulling it tight into the joint. Is this not a good idea?

Not really, no, lol. You need to fit through the side of the leg, through the tenon with glued dowels, honestly, this is the best way to fix. I'll try and dig up an example.

Like this

Attachments

• jhfuky.jpg
    jhfuky.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 63
Or this

Attachments

• iluohy;o9i.jpg
    iluohy;o9i.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 64
I thought about bolting side on. Maybe even using coach bolts (Smooth sides like a dowel so sit snug) but I thought coming from the end and pulling in would have been stronger. Again though that is on my limited knowledge.

Thanks for the reply

My local timber yards are small and do very little (Im near pontefract) There is leeds but most websites dont have product ranges listed when it comes to wood and I work 6 days a week so getting to them in working hours is proving difficult to see what they do. Online ordering is easier for me and collection I could sort out but calling from yard to yard is a issue at the moment.

Anyhow, with a mortis joint if used I would do it half depth of the leg and bolt from the far side for security although a tenon joint could be a option and maybe a little more astetically pleasing if done right.

I need the bed to be solid and we seem to snap all the other we are getting and havent been going for the cheapest just they dont seem to last. So I wanted to stay away from bracketed side panels as this seems to be where the weakness is. I just wondered as I have not found even any handmade beds that use anything other than bracketing for the joints.
NR Burnett Ltd. of Hull - Softwood - Panel Products - Hardwood

Pretty local and quite a large company by the look of it?

Just bear in mind, many timber merchants only stock 'in the raw', I assume you haven't got a planer.

Just checked on their site (Burnett) and they do have machining facilities.

Just bear in mind, many timber merchants only stock 'in the raw', I assume you haven't got a planer.

No I havent, but a few of the online ones I have looked at do the planed all round wood. That or some laborious hours sanding it back.

Just to give you some encouragement, this is the sort of thing I make.

Attachments

• library1001.jpg
    library1001.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 15

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom