Question for an electrician please.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. Hopefully someone can give me a bit of advice. We have some sockets in our lounge we want to swap over to nice chrome ones. Just bought some on offer from b and q. Anyway have just noticed that one of the single switches has a fuse in it. This switch operates the garden sockets outside. The switch was installed by an electrician quite a while ago. It sits right next to a double socket. This double socket is obviously where the fused switch is taking its power from. So my question is does this definitely have to be a fused switch because I have only bought a normal one.

It's a switched fused spur to isolate the outside sockets, and yes it does need to be a fused spur.

I'd replace a fused spur like for like, esp. feeding outside power sockets. In fact, I'd be thinking at using an RCD for additional protection on the spur.

spur.JPG

Thanks for the replies. I think The outside socket has some kind of breaker built in. It's a bit chunky socket with a cover on.

Thanks. Why does it need a fuse?

Well technically as long as the main circuit is protected by an RCD the regs state you do not need a fused spur. I was always taught it was good practice to install a fused spur as it provides downsteam isolation from the main ring.

Looks like I has better take them back just in case. They don't do a fused spur one in the range.

Well technically as long as the main circuit is protected by an RCD the regs state you do not need a fused spur. I was always taught it was good practice to install a fused spur as it provides downsteam isolation from the main ring.

Bad Advice!!!

The reason for the fused spur is because a normal ring main is protected by a 32amp breaker the chances are the cable to your outside socket is 2.5mm which is not capable of safely carrying 32amp infact it is only rated at 24amps before you take any thing else like length of run and how it is installed into consideration.

Looks like I has better take them back just in case. They don't do a fused spur one in the range.

You can normally get the spurs in most of the ranges as it is a very common item..
But best to be sure :smashin:

An RCD is there to protect you. It will trip out in a fraction of a second if there is a leakage of power through you to earth.

Fuses protect cables. In this case the cable going outside.

To be honest I'd leave the fuse spur as it is. (It's easier and probably safer), if your asking questions like this should you be doing the job in the first place?

Pretty sure you'll do it anyway, make sure you isolate the whole fuse board (just in case) and make sure your connections are tight when fitting the new sockets, also make sure you don't damage any cable when pushing the accessories back.

Spark of 20 years only 30 more left :(

Bad Advice!!!

The reason for the fused spur is because a normal ring main is protected by a 32amp breaker the chances are the cable to your outside socket is 2.5mm which is not capable of safely carrying 32amp infact it is only rated at 24amps before you take any thing else like length of run and how it is installed into consideration.

Unless the outside socket is part of the ring, rather than a spur.

Unless the outside socket is part of the ring, rather than a spur.

And how would that be done exactly from the description given by the OP above?

i.e. He has an outside socket protected by a fused spur. So how is it possible for the outside socket to be part of the ring?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom