Question for all the samsung box owners?

Lofthouse81

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

From what i can make out you Samsung box owners are only getting other problems other then the lip sync.
Can you please tell me if any of you are getting the dreaded lip sync like us thomson and pace owners?.:lease:

I had a Samsung HD box installed on Tuesday and noticed some minor lipsynching issues almost straight away (although I'm not sure they would have been quite so obvious if I hadn't read the main thread on the problem prior to installation!)....BBC and CH4 HD definitely the worst culprits though.

Last night's Heroes on BBCHD was almost unwatchable because of the audio delay, ended up watching it on SD and glowering impotently at the shiny Samsung box under the telly, hoping my bad vibes would generate a local fix through willpower alone.

Needless to say, I was left wanting.

Still impressed overall with the whole shebang, just hope they can sort out these problems (or I'll be joining the growing army of HD subscription refund receivers, I fear)..

I have a friend who has a samsung hd box and he is just about to cancel due to the lip sync problems

I have a samsung box and don't have many lip sync problems.

Jez

Ditto ElFez....
I have exactly the same problems with Sky+ HD and do have a new Samsung box (installed last Friday). Notice that I separate the two because I am not at all convinced it is the box at fault. My money would be on the transmission from Sky. Anyway I too have lip sync issues with BBCHD and CH4HD also very slightly with FXHD. Heroes was pretty much unwatchable last night with pictures before sound (audio delay). The strange thing is that later The Tudors was perfectly in sync. I would add that as far as I can tell all other HD channels seem to be OK or at least very much better than BBC and CH4.
When I spoke to 2nd Tier support on Monday it seemed that they were well aware of this issue.

Ditto ElFez....
I have exactly the same problems with Sky+ HD and do have a new Samsung box (installed last Friday). Notice that I separate the two because I am not at all convinced it is the box at fault. My money would be on the transmission from Sky. Anyway I too have lip sync issues with BBCHD and CH4HD also very slightly with FXHD. Heroes was pretty much unwatchable last night with pictures before sound (audio delay). The strange thing is that later The Tudors was perfectly in sync. I would add that as far as I can tell all other HD channels seem to be OK or at least very much better than BBC and CH4.
When I spoke to 2nd Tier support on Monday it seemed that they were well aware of this issue.

If it was a transmission fault everyone would have it, and apparently not everyone does so it must be down to the individual boxes

I have a Samsung and have Lip Sync out on BBC HD & CH4 HD

As well as poor remote response and white noise when switching to Dolby Digital audio.

There are a couple of things that I like about it:

1. It kicks in to 30x FF a lot quicker than the Thompson which always had a small delay.

2. Signal strength & quality at 100% versus 60-70% on the Thomson.

Engineer is coming tomorrow to swap boxes.

If it was a transmission fault everyone would have it, and apparently not everyone does so it must be down to the individual boxes

Yes I guess you could argue that but equally why is it that some channels appear to be fine yet others are certainly not? I would go so far as to suggest that maybe it is that all channels have sync problems, its just that some are pretty close to 'in sync' whilst others are miles out.
Something I have also noticed in many posts regarding the sync problem; BBC HD and CH4 HD keep coming up as the worst culprits, why these on what appears to be a regular basis and not others?
Well it certainly a difficult one but I for one hope they sort it soon.....

I have a brand new Samsung HD box and not noticed lip sync issues.

Also i have an old Thomson box and have had lip sync issues from time to time.

I think its pot luck really and i can safely assume you will get lip sync issues with any HD box after reading posts on here.

However the box does seem slightly quicker through the planner.

Last edited:
Well, if some people have lip sync probs with a Samsung, others not, does it not seem to suggest that individual setups, principally the quality & processing power of television sets, have a part to play in this lip sync kerfuffle??

Well, if some people have lip sync probs with a Samsung, others not, does it not seem to suggest that individual setups, principally the quality & processing power of television sets, have a part to play in this lip sync kerfuffle??

If that was the case, wouldn't that affect all the channels eqally? Or lead to video delay rather than audio (as seems to be the case at the moment)?

I have no technical knowledge whatsover, so these are meant to be questions rather than a pooh-poohing of Kenedin's post....:)

It probably has a lot to do with the set-up. For example, are you using HDMI for sound, or using the optical output? Or, are you using the speakers built into the TV or a stand-alone amp? Either of those could affect lip-synch.

Last edited:
If that was the case, wouldn't that affect all the channels eqally? Or lead to video delay rather than audio (as seems to be the case at the moment)?

Exactly :smashin:

I have only noticed the sync problems with BBC HD, CH4 HD and occasionally with FXHD all other channels appear to behave :)
In addition I have seen the odd transmission on BBC in sync, last night for example the Verve in concert was spot on.
Difficult one isn't it........

Last edited:
Sadly, I didn't even get a chance to enjoy the lip-sync problems, because I got the HDCP handshake problem with the new Samsung Sky+ HD box linked to my Panasonic PHD8 :boring:

Same experience here - Heroes is the only time I've noticed it with my Samsung box (only had it a week though), but it was pretty bad!

Stopping/starting seemed to improve the situation but certainly didn't make it go away totally.

Shame as other than that the Samsung box has behaved <touch wood> well so far.

I also got lipsync issues with Heroes on my Samsung box.

I saw lipsync issues as soon as it was installed eailier this week, I originally had audio via hdmi, I changed the sync on the amp which was set to 40ms down to 0ms which helped alot, then I found out that there is no 5.1 via hdmi so now on optical, but the sync issue is still there on some programs it is not persistant between channels.

I've also noticed that the sound is behind the video.

The lipsync remains on the recording too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom