Question for AE100 owners

Vila

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if some of you guys could help me out...

I have just gone through the painful process of selling my 32" WS and 5.1 floorstanders:eek: because they are too big to take to Uni with me, however I do know need a 'tv' which is when I had the crazy idea of a projector:rolleyes: (well its a lot smaller than an actual tv, the Governement just gave me some free money :D and Ive always wanted one)

Firstly is my small room too small to get any sort of picture?
The room is 7 feet 5" by 11 feet

Secondly could some kind person tell me the dimensions W/H/D of the projector?

Thanks

My ae100 is 9ft from screen and I have a 7ft wide pic.

Thanks for the info....... am so frikin' tempted now!:D

Vila,

just got one of these and have two feelings about it.

1)In terms of performance for the money I think it is staggering. Even the wife has been impressed by it - she normally hates anything electrical.

Just keep a TV for watching stuff in daylight (news breakfast tv or whatever) and to save the bulb if that is a concern to you. But I guarantee that you will find that you want to make the effort to watch as much as possible on the pj.

2)The pj is not perfect and has a number of limitations. Leaving the failure rate aside (if it dies they will replace it!) I suggest you read about the features that are probably deemed acceptable by Panasonic and you may have to live with.

These seem to be dead/stuck pixels obviously not AE100 specific but do try and check the pj before you buy and find a sympathetic retailer.
&
Colour uniformity problems - basically a green hue on one side and a pink on the other. Seems to vary in intensity.

If you have a look at one running in someones house critically and they point out the flaws to you then I think provided you are OK with these you can buy in confidence and know that you will be happy.

I can not think of a more cost effective upgrade of TV -> projector!!!

HTH
Tim

Still very much looking at getting one of these in my next week off and want to be as prepared as can be, I found the comments above very helpful, thanks.

Can I just ask a question which is probably more to do with the screen than the projector.

I would be installing the PJ on my rear wall, the screen would then drop down from the ceiling so it hid the TV for when I want to use the PJ.

The distance from wall to screen is about 14ft, the width that the screen would have to fit into is 6ft - with this in mind, how big a screen could I have ?

Also, what screen do I need ? what should I be looking for in a screen ?

One final thing, like I said I would like the screen to be lowered from the ceilieng and then attatched to the TV stand when in use. However the total height here is about 7ft, will there be any problems with this ?

Thanks

Another quick note - those rear projection TV's can have a really bad picture when you dont look at them from directly infont ... whereas projectors give a greatr picture from any angle.

BTW i did not have much money, and i felt the same as you - to go for a Panny - its the best decision i made :) its fantastic - with 5.1 surround sounds it really bring movies to life! great if you watch a lot of tv and movies - or even playstation/computer :)

anybody able to help with my screen question ?

Originally posted by DuncanWardle

the width that the screen would have to fit into is 6ft - with this in mind, how big a screen could I have ?

Urm you answered your own question 6 ft.

Look up a few posts and you will see that at 9ft from screen I get a 7ft wide pic.

Originally posted by JSW

I get a 7ft wide pic.

I thought we had the same screens :confused:

Pro Cinema Pro Screen, 16x9 - 190x107.

That makes mine 6'3" wide.

You must have got the "delux" model ;)

So can I get a screen which is 6ft wide by about 7 or 8ft long ?

If so what happens about the image being projected onto it ?

How do I make sure I dont loose any from the sides etc. ?

Its hard to explain, but ill try.

My TV is on a bench style equipment rack which house all my gear. The TV sits on the top and what I want is for the screen to be lowered from the ceiling to sit in front of the TV for when then PJ is in use.

The bench is about 6ft wide and so this is the width I would want for the screen. However the top of the bench is about 7ft or so from the ceiling.

Is it possible to have the screen so it fills this gap ? or would I have to just have a screen which hung from the ceiling and did not reach the bench ?

Told you it was hard to explain, I just do not want to be having to look up at the screen, if that makes sense ?

Perhaps if you look at my pics http://www.avforums.com/memberpages/6549/]here[/URL] it may help explain what I want

Sorry I could not be more clear

http://www.avforums.com/memberpages/6549/

If your buying a screen then I believe you can specify any length of drop you need. Someone on this forum has a screen which has 3 drops? I think. I used to have my screen about 5 feet from the ground and since moving the screen to about 3 feet off the ground you feel more immersed in the movie.

How high is your bench which houses all your audio gear?, if you liked DIY you could take the route that some of us have and make your own screen from MDF or a roller blind.

Sorry I could not be more clear

Sorry for what? It's perfectly clear now ;)

I'm in a somewhat similiar situation, with a "half" bay window.

My TV resides on a cabinet (holds AV gear & DVDs also etc...) in front of my window.

The screen I have, when pulled down sits in front of the TV, but all the electronics below are still visible.

So screen up, TV viewing as normal (& curtin twitching aswell :D ), screen down, no TV to be seen, just screen, cabinet & speakers (the front spkr resides in the cabinet so no probs there).

The screen is by Projecta & is known as the Pro Cinema. My model is the "7 ft" model, but actual dimensions are 200x112 (viewable area 190x107 - 5cm border all round).

It has as standard quite a degree of flexibility with regards to drop from the ceiling. This is due to the massive black border at the top.

With it fully extended (downwards), the bottom bar is 6'4" from the ceiling, so not far off your 7ft desire. This leaves the bottom approx 22" from the floor (standard 8ft ceiling).

The case is 7ft across on the ceiling.

I use it in it's second lowest position, about 7 or 8 inches higher from the floor (approx 5'8" from the ceiling at this stage).

Sounds like what you need.

I can take a few piccies if you like, but I think JSW has them on his web space already (he copied me & bought the same screen :D ).

There's also a link in the special offers area re where to buy one cheap.

It was a few weeks ago now, so have a look.

JSW has all the details there.

Hope this has been of use.

Expect to see you on Tim's list soon, in the FP club ;)

Originally posted by Kramer

I can take a few piccies if you like, but I think JSW has them on his web space already (he copied me & bought the same screen :D ).

If I'd of known you had the same screen and if you had of posted about it I certainly would of copied you ;)

Its a great screen and would recomend it to any one looking for a decent well made screen.

Pics of screen are on 3rd page of home cinema album btw.

Very tempted to go and buy one now, its something I have wanted for ages, and I feel my HC would almost be complete with one of these.

For those of you that do have one can you answer these questions for me ?

1 ) Are they as good as they seem ?

2 ) Whats the image quality like ? I have a TOSHIBA 510 which offers me full prog scan image, I believe this is accepted by the AE100

3 ) How easy is the whole thing to set up ? The PJ would have to be mounted on the rear wall and also how hard is it to put the screen up ? I imagine its not just a 5 minute job

4 ) Once up and running how easy are they to maintain ? do they have to be calibrated each week or something ?

Anything else I should know would be most grateful, thanks in advance

Very tempted to go and buy one now, its something I have wanted for ages, and I feel my HC would almost be complete with one of these.

For those of you that do have one can you answer these questions for me ?

1 ) Are they as good as they seem ?
Yes

2 ) Whats the image quality like ? I have a TOSHIBA 510 which offers me full prog scan image, I believe this is accepted by the AE100
Excellent you need to see it to believe it

3 ) How easy is the whole thing to set up ? The PJ would have to be mounted on the rear wall and also how hard is it to put the screen up ? I imagine its not just a 5 minute job
It was half hour job putting the screen up and once everything is set up the only part of the pj i need to touch is the dust cap on the lens. Also with the AE100 the dust filter needs cleaning every 100 hours I think.

4 ) Once up and running how easy are they to maintain ? do they have to be calibrated each week or something ?
As above just clean the dust filter every 100 hours

Anything else I should know would be most grateful, thanks in advance

Get one you know it makes sense :)

Thanks, time to consul the bank balace

Well I have one on order - thanks to you all for your help

Can I just ask one last thing, where did you guys get your component cables from, I need 10metres of the stuff and need to be able to pay by visa, looking to spend about £50 or so - any ideas ?

The Media Factory, but you need to send a cheque.

Use a credit card cheque if they gave you any.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom