1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for 50" plasma owners...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jimbobgod, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering taking the plunge and buying a 50" plasma, but I am curious to know how far away one needs to sit so that the pixel structure of the screen isn't visible? My living room is a bit on the small side you see...

Jim.

2. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Somewhere between 12 &16 feet seems to be about right!

Regards.

B

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think it really comes down to both personal taste and what you will be viewing.

For me 9ft was too close to a 43" screen for day-to-day viewing but for DVDs it was fine.

The pixel structure is smaller on 50" screens than on 42/43" but it's not the structure you have to wory about rather the MPEG artifacts present in both Sky/Freeview/Cable and DVDs...and the larger the screen the more obvious they are.

You will really have to see for yourself but I would advise not basing your decision on DVD playback but rather normal TV viewing from Sky or something because if you are happy with that you will be more than pleased with DVD playback.

Cheers, Lee

4. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you wear glass's like me you can sit 8ft on any screen :p (I am not as blind as some people are!)

Koing

5. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is three aspects to this:
    1) How far away can you distinguish the pixel structure.
    50in beats 42 here because it has smaller pixels. I can't distinguish individual pixel on 42 from 5ft, but it depends on your eye sight. For 50 it should be much closer
    2) Picture quality. The worse the puicture quality (mpeg or scaling artefacts) the further away you want to seat to make it blend together. 42 has an advantage over 50 here as downscaling produces slightly less artefacts than upscaling, but unless the artefacts are really bad this is generally still beaten by higher resolution of 50. If you have a decent external processor like Lumagen or HD Leeza this will be of no consideration and your viewing distance will just be up to point 1 and 3
    3) Natural perception of images or how big an image your mind can tolerate. Normally, peoples faces are shot to fill about 1/4 of the screen height in News, it often feels quite unnatural. For me even from 15ft away it still feels too big on a 42 in screen. For movies this is not a problem because you view what the director has intended to be viewed on the 100ft screen in cinema. It's ok to watch it from even from 7-8ft away.

6. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your feedback, I'll just have to take a tape-measure with me when I demo 42 & 50" screens I think, and see how I get on :)

Jim.