1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for 32PW9617 owners

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Zacabeb, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm going to call the store where I bought my 32PW9616 and negotiate for an 'upgrade' to a 32PW9617 since my 32PW9616 has issues.

However, I'm wondering if I should have the set modified right away to remove SVM. It is extremely annoying on the 32PW9616 and makes the set have lesser picture quality than my mother's old Sanyo. I won't put up with that any longer, and the new set has to follow my rule, for I am its god.

Now some people are under the impression that double outlines along edges are a sign of sharpness. I am not under that impression since up until last year, I had an excellent pre-SVM Philips RPTV whose picture quality the 32PW9616 doesn't come close to.

So my question for you is; does the 32PW9617 have any significant SVM artifacts?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Zacabeb

I have sharpness turned right down on my 9617, and don't see the effect. I'll try it tonight with sharpness ramped up and see what happens. I ran the AVIA calibration DVD when I first got the set, and the sharpness settings in that are fine if I have the sharpness control at minimum, which I prefer. What most people have realised is that pixel plus gives all the definition you need.

3. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the sharpness set to one above minimum - no SVM visible to my eye. Turning on P+ gives all the definition I need!

4. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto to the above two posts.

Would it not be possible to go and have a viewing of the 9617 prior to asking for the upgrade ?

Spike

5. freeky

freeky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought a 32pw9617.
    I am generally happy with it.

zacabeb - its does NOT have the "SVM" problem.

I have a few complaints though.

bottom of picture is slighty arced upwards (especially when banners shown)

focus is slightly out on right hand side - only visible from up close.

100hz digi scan option seems to give slightly better focus and better linearity than PP+

zacabeb - do you how to adjust focus on these models?

to get the best out of the TV - u need a digital source - normal UHF reception is poor on this TV.

overall 8/10

thanks

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the responses. :)

freeky: I think the focus problem is related to the CRT since MDDG CRT's seem to have a somewhat fuzzy look when they bloom. It might be related to the non-circular cathodes in the MDDG CRT's, by which they attempt to make the electron beam footprint square. They trade some corner focus in for center focus.

I'm not sure how these models look on the inside and I haven't adjusted focus on my 32PW9616. I guess it's as dangerous a task as usual with the focus/cutoff box in a suitably lethal spot...

7. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Zacabeb,

It is there if you look for it.

I saw a set playing Harry Potter and you could see some halo/ringing around the dark robes when they appeared against a light background.

Also, geometry was not really spot-on. The bottom edge of the 2.35:1 frame was slightly arced inwards in the middle (same thing I see on all Panasonic widescreens, funnily enough).

Regards.

8. freeky

freeky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks zacabeb....

why cant they focus the tube at the edges too?

the picture in the centre is pin sharp!

- a closer look has revealed that all 4 corners have focus problems and slight concave features.

switching to 100hz scan makes the focus a little better - why?

also i have noticed the all too common vertcal dark bands - a little from the left and right of the screen.

i still consider it a very good effort by phillips - but not perfect!

PS - i shined a torch through the back grill - they forgot to cover the panasonic CRT sticker with a philips one on my set!!!!!!!!!!!!