1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question, Apocalypse Now Redux

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mad max 3, Nov 27, 2003.

1. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a Region 2 copy of Apocalypse Now Redux.

I was looking for the specs concering the package.
    I've tried all the DVD compare sites, not really any help.

I've seen Apocalypse Now Redux in local shops in a basic plastic cover but not the same as mine.

The copy I have is Packaged in a gate-fold cardboard digipack case with a booklet and either 3 or 4 cards (postcards) from the movie.

I know that a Region 2 French Version is out there but it is a 2 disc version. I don't know if this has the cards in it.

So can any one help shed some light on this matter?

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have been after one of those for ages! (wanna sell it!?! :D )

Basically when it was first released it was released as a cardboard foldout digipack, but after a few months they changed it to a plastic amaray... This kind of thing is quite common, they also did it with Speed, Usual Suspects, Pulp Fiction, French Connection, Lawrance of Arabia and many others...

I never bought Redux when it was available in a cardboard case because I didn't realise it would be a limited time thing, by the time I realised it was too late and they had all sold out... :(

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are there any version's available with the famous documentary done by Coppola's wife ( I think ) included?

Regards,
    Iain.

Sorry about going off topic a bit...

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like a seamless branching dvd with the original version and the redux on the same disc (( commentary would be nice )) and id like a 2 disc version with that documentary and perhaps extras such as deleted scenes and trailers.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Iain,

The documentary you are referring to, is called "Hearts Of Darkness: A Film-maker's Apocalypse", and was based on Coppola's wife's diaries that she wrote during the infamous filming of this acclaimed epic.

Now, as far as I know, the only way you can get this and Apocalypse Now or A.N. Redux together, is on UK VHS. The film and the documentary are both available seperately, but the documentary is only available on Region 1 DVD, if memory serves.

When "Redux" came out on UK DVD, the film was available on its own, but if you bought the VHS version, you got a lovely double-tape boxed set, including the amazing documentary as well! The bar-stewards!!!! :mad:

Hopefully, someone, somewhere will release a 5-disc DVD of this, incorporating:

- Apocalypse Now (1979 cinema version)
    - Apocalypse Now Redux
    - Apocalypse Now: Director's Cut (which would hopefully included every piece of useable and available footage, making the film run to about 5 hours, over 2 discs)
    - Hearts Of Darkness documentary
    - a ton of extras on the films, their creation, bloopers, interviews with cast and crew, etc, etc.

Until then, it's either VHS or R1 DVD for the documentary.

Pooch

6. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies.

Lex I think I'll hang on to this one for a while its one of the few early releases I have and I quite love the film. Thanks for letting me know where it came from. I thought that was the case but I wasn't sure.

The one thing is I'm not sure which cut of the movie I like the most.

As FoxyMulder said it would be nice to have a seamless branching dvd with the original version and the redux on the same disc.

Also I would like the chance to see all the available footage, making the film run to about 5 hours, over 2 discs) just like PoochDJ.

The truth is, I don't think we will get to see anymore of Apocalypse Now but a few extras included with it would have been nice.

Look at Regions:

R2 (France) - Pathe: 2 Disc Set with extras. The French Edition easily wins.It has Suppliments:
    1979 Press Conference extract (3 Minutes, 25 Seconds)
    2001 Press Conference (45 Minutes)
    Interview with Claude Berri (4 Minutes, French no subtitles)
    "Destruction of the Kurtz Compound" with commentary by Francis Ford Coppola (5 Minutes)

R2 (Germany) - BMG has, "Destruction of the Kurtz Compound" with commentary by Francis Ford Coppola (5 Minutes).

R4 (Australia) - Universal has, "Destruction of the Kurtz Compound" with commentary by Francis Ford Coppola (5 Minutes)+"Apocalypse Then And Now" featurette and "PBR Streetgang" featurette.

Not fair now is it.

7. miniroll171

miniroll171

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favorite films. My friend brought round the Redux version for me to watch and I have to say I was disappointed. I normally like extended versions of films as you get more character development and get to see all the scenes that were cut out.

However I found the redux version dragged on to much and I can see why the scenes were cut out in the first place. The beach scenes added comedy!! not what you want in a serious film and the whole French scene was pointless, it didnt add anything to the movie at all!

I found myself wanting to get up and turn it off, but I stuck with it till the end just to see.

I do hope if there is another release of this film then he goes back to the old cinema cut, or at least gives us both versions. I hope Redux doesnt become the standard version of this film for all future releases on new video formats.

I am now hunting around for the 'old' version.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    It was nice to find out the eventual fate of the "bunnies" though.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    The plantation scenes are not plot development per se but more of a statement on colonialism, the validity of western involement in Indo China and the chances of success. You will also note there are some statements of "will" that echo Kurz's much more famous "diamond bullet" speech later in the film. I still don't know to this day whether the scene has subtitles in it (my player has some issues with those) but most of the really interesting stuff is said in French. Thank god for my A-level :).

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

If anyone's interested - which I'm sure there will be many - Channel 4 will be showing the original 1979 version of "Apocalypse Now" (the standard 148 minute version, we all know and love) on Saturday 28th Feb at 10:05pm (until 12:55am)!

It will be in Widescreen 1.85:1, rather than the original (and I expect proper format of 2.35:1), but at least it might do some of you well, to try and record it on to DVD, until an official release becomes available.

Failing that, just enjoy the smell of Napalm in the morning! :D

Pooch