Question/advice: Connect blu ray player to to audiolab 6000a?

barnaldo2003

What is the best way to connect a sony ubpx700 blu ray player to to audiolab 6000a?

My current setup, TV connected to Denon x4300h receiver via hdmi arc. All other sources connected to av receiver including sony ubpx700 blu ray player. Av receiver connected to audiolab 6000a so that I can watch movies using the power mode (HT bypass) on the audiolab but if I want to listen to music I switch to the integrated mode on the audio lab so I have stereo sound.

If possible I want to use the sony ubpx700 as a source for cd’s and music dvd’s/blu rays, use the audio out via coaxial and have that connected to the audio lab with stereo sound but the video out to still go through hdmi to the tv. At the moment if I use the blu ray player through the av receiver the sound quality is not great for music so I want to bypass the AV receiver. Ideally I would like to leave the blu ray connected to the av receiver but if that is not possible I will connect it directly to the tv when I want to listen to music via the blu ray and will then plug it back into the av receiver when watching movies.

I’ve been looking at something like this, would it do the job? If it’s too cheap for decent sound quality and there are better alternatives please let me know.

Amazon product
Hope that makes sense and thanks for your help.

English Invader

I wouldn't discount the Audiolab for home theatre. I've been using my stereo system for films lately for DVD, Blu-Ray and VHS and with the right speakers you can get a lot of detail in the bass. I've had positive experiences with action-heavy films like Le Mans 66, Jaws, Duel and The Dark Knight.

My system is a NAD C316BEE v2 with a pair of JPW AP1 speakers. The JPWs are sealed with an 8" paper cone driver which gives them a very fast and tight bass response.

I don't have a flash surround system so I don't have a basis for comparison. All I know is that my movies are getting a new lease of life!

kit1cat

I have my Oppo Blu-ray player connected via co-ax to my 6000a for cd's and hdmi to my Yamaha AV receiver for dvd's etc, works fine, but I do use a speaker switch box instead of pre outs from the AV receiver. Does you Av receiver support hdmi pass through in standby?

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
As above, try the coax digital out from the Sony to the digital input on the audiolab. You may need to go into the menus on the Sony to set it to output pictures to hdmi and sound to coax in LPCM or SPDIF format but it may output simultaneously by default which would be useful.

3rdignis

You could connect tv optical to audiolab, you should be able to listen to everything stereo though audiolab at best quality.

barnaldo2003

Thanks for all the responses, sounds like I might not need a DAC. I think the AV reciever supports pass through in standby. I'll have a go with an optical cable first and invest in a coaxial cable if no joy.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
any old coax cable will do to see if it works, just one on half of a standard stereo rca-rca cable. If you want to invest in one, an Amazon basics 75ohm cable of the right length will do, or if you want to splash out, something from Fisual.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom