Question Question About Yamaha Receiver Surround Output

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MaximusSolidus, Jul 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MaximusSolidus

MaximusSolidus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone,
    This will be my first post here at avforums and I wanted to thank everyone here in advance for their help on how to remedy my problem.

I own a Yamaha RX-V377 AVR and have several components configured to the HDMI ports on it. These are a PS4, PS3, and a Comcast HD cable box. I have one HDMI out going from the AVR to the HDMI1 input to a Sony TV (EX400 circa 2010).

Problem: My PS3 has been giving me a problem that I haven't yet been able to solve alone so bear with me. I did an Automatic setup via the PS3 options menu and all the options are checked for outputting HD audio. However I do not believe I am receiving HD Audio when I insert discs.

Yamaha's remote that came with the receiver has an option button and from there you can select "Signal Info". When playing a 5.1 source from an application such as Netflix it displays the signal being input as Dolby Digital +. I switched over to my cable box and again it showed that Dolby Digital sound was the Signal Source.

With discs being input into the PS3 however this has not been the case. The "Signal Info" merely states it is a PCM signal. I did multiple trials with this including a game (Skyrim), a DVD (Live Phish Concert with Dolby Digital 5.1), and a Blu-Ray Disc (The Matrix with Dolby True HD). For the latter two I made sure the surround option was selected from the disc menu for each respectively.

I haven't been able to try this with my PS4 due to my defective controller being repaired.

Any ideas? Sorry for the long post thanks again. Just not sure why it would show Dolby with something like Netflix and not with my games, DVDs or Blu-Rays.

EDIT: Forgot to add that HDMI Configuration for Audio Output is sent to Amp=On and HDMI OUT (TV) is set to off.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The status/info text (PCM or Dolby) is a reflection of what your audio setting are on the source device. It simply sounds like you have the PS3 set to PCM.

The PS3 had both PCM and Linear Bit Stream. If you select the latter option, when you press info on the Yamaha remote you'll see Dolby instead of PCM.

Note: in some cases PCM is the better option. I.e. The PS3 might outperform your AV receivers decoder. The best way to choice is by listening to some music with a lot of dynamic range. Typically one will sounds better (more punch) than the other.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    I'm assuming you've the slim PS3? If not then it should be noted that the earlier phat PS3 cannot bitstream Blu-ray derived audio.

Games discs always output multichannel PCM irrespective of what they were encoded with. This is to allow the PS3 to mix its own sounds into those derrived from the disc.

Here's how to correctly configure the PS3 so that it bitstreams Blu-ray audio via HDMI:

Best Playstation 3 Blu-Ray Settings

The PS4 is slightly more contrived and although you can set the console to bitstream via the main setting you'll still not get disc based media bitstreamed via HDMI. You have to go into the Options while a movie disc is playing and select Settings/Audio Formats and choose the Bitstream (Direct) option. This setting option will be retained by the console for all future disc based film media.

Also note that some older discs encoded with TrueHD require you to select TrueHD via the discs audio options menu in order for you to get TrueHD. Also note that the PS3 doesn't support TrueHD in relation to sequentially 3D video discs.

Your receiver should be set so its HDMI output is set to just AMP and not TV. If you set the output to TV then the source uses your TV's audio capabilities as a guide as to what it can output. TVs cannoy handle many of the audio formats an receiver can.

4. MaximusSolidus

MaximusSolidus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the replies and you were both right on the money. By changing my PS3 settings to "bitstream" it allowed the receiver to display the signal info as whatever "lossy" or "lossless" signal was coming from the disc. However it appears to be just a cosmetic issue with the only difference between bitstream and PCM being an occasional difference in volume. With bitstream your AVR is doing the decoding and with PCM the PS3 is unzipping that lossless audio and sending it to the AVR as a PCM signal hence why my discs were coming up as PCM. Either way it does not make a difference and I just needed to know definitively that I was getting the best audio which I was.

If people have a similar question in the future they can be directed here as well:

HD 101: How to use Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD with your PS3

Notable excerpt from this article:

First, the good news. What the PS3 can do is decode (unzip) the Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD MA lossless audio and send it to your receiver as a multichannel linear PCM (LPCM) stream, which just about any modern receiver can decode. The LPCM audio is identical to the Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD MA original format, so no quality is lost.

Now, the bad news. An annoying side effect of sending the "unzipped" LPCM rather than the "zipped" Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD MA is that the receiver's Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD MA indicator will not light up because it's not decoding Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD MA -- the PS3 already did the decoding. Instead, the receiver will (correctly) indicate that it is receiving a LPCM signal.

Cheers guys!

EDIT: Retried after setting the BD/DVD settings to output bitstream instead of PCM and it worked for both the Phish DVD(Dolby Digital 5.1) and The Matrix BD (TrueHD).

Now with games such as Uncharted 3 that give you the option to choose either DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1 when I went to "Signal Info" on my Yamaha receiver as mentioned in the OP it showed up correctly as whichever option I chose in game. However I tried several different games and this was not the case as it showed PCM for all the other titles I tried on PS3. Here are the examples:

Black Ops II and Skyrim (both have Dolby Digital on back of the box but "Signal Info" shows PCM.

God of War 3 (shows both Dolby Digital and DTS on the back of the box. In-game options are for Stereo, Headphones, 5.1 surround, and 7.1 surround. Changing these options did not change "Signal Info" and it stayed PCM.

What gives?

5. MaximusSolidus

MaximusSolidus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never mind.