Question about work and facebook

wookielover

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Quick question for those with more bonce the I. To cut a long story short, I was having a debate with someone on Facebook via private messages. I found there posts racist and offence and reported them to FB. We exchanged a fairly friendly debate over PM about various subjects and sent each other information. Basically this person ideas where nonsense and he was a racist and conspiracy theorist. He was a friend of a friend l. The debate ended a after a week or so of conversation and points raised by each party. He is Christian and I'm an atheist. Points on religion where raised he said I offended him and I apologised via message and the debate continued and then stopped after we reached stalemate. I come in to work and find that he has made a complaint to my employer and religious abuse or the such and for them to have a word but "go easy on him ". It did have, I have since removed it , my employer name on my profile. I have said to my manager ( who intervened the he complaint for damage control ) that it's a personal conflict. She can see the messages and gave a brief outline. She is asking HR advice . I work for a council . Perfect work history. My manage is great and I'm just worried about what could happen .

was it done within work time? Do you work in the same place?

Sounds like the typical religious person, trying to use his religion to get you fired.

I'd do the same, forward his racist rants to his employer.

1. You can't debate religion. Belief exists outside a logical framework

2. Offence is just our reaction to views we don't understand. Reporting people for offending you is childish and wrong.

3. You work in the public sector. You'll probably get a pay rise.

The guy sounds like a petty, vindictive ********. I hope the council see sense when dealing with it.

How did he know where you work? But the important thing is did you have this tete a tete in work time using council PC's?

Not in work time , maybe the odd one during lunch or something. To be honest I thought we where getting on fine , our ideas where polar opposite and our debates never involved threats or nasty language ( not on my half anyway I think he told me to fudge off a couple of times ) I'm not tit for tat he is retired so couldn't report him to anyone. I've deleted the conversation before the complaint came but I didn't say anything which could bring the council in to disrepute or give away any secrets. I think we had a heated debate about cancer and his belief that - god , cannabis, silver and soda can all cure cancer and I responded about my involvement with cancer patients and how that's rubbish etc . My manage is good and I know she has done damage control but I just sort of think that it is a private matter and he only knew where I worked because I left on my profile ( since removed ) . It is petty I just don't want to get sacked !

He sounds like a bellend.......may god have mercy on his soul.

We don't work in the same place we live above 400 miles apart !

Then do the same, send his racist remarks to his local church, his employer, and his local newspaper, and his neighbours.

Eye for an eye and all that..

Has the council got a policy on using the internet for personal use? Did you sign out for lunch when you used facebook at work? Did you mention the Council during your tete a tete?

I'm in a union. It would have been ( Facebook ) on my phone not using a work computer . If I remember rightly he referred to all public workers as "pond scum who he hates" . He brought up that I work for a council not I . I didn't discuss work with him

That's why you should never have employer details on facebook profile. Two people I know got in trouble

I'm in a union. It would have been ( Facebook ) on my phone not using a work computer . If I remember rightly he referred to all public workers as "pond scum who he hates" . He brought up that I work for a council not I . I didn't discuss work with him
Were you signed out for lunch when you used your phone? Also how did he know you worked for a council and how did he know who you worked for?

He knew because it was on my profile page .literally said - works for **** council. We don't sign out for lunch it's not that sort of arrangement . We take it as and when .

We don't sign out for lunch it's not that sort of arrangement . We take it as and when .
OK, I can see a number of potential problems for the employer if that's true. If there's no way of knowing when someone is on their lunch or not they can't discipline you for using the internet during work time. Having your employer featured on your facebook page, if they don't have a policy about that, then you should also be OK.

Tell God not to let him into Heaven... 'Thou shalt not bear false witness' and all that :)

I don't think they would be out to get me . I've looked at the communication policy and the specific area of social media. Bringing the council in to disrepute and all that - as far as I can tell I've not done that I've not posted derogatory comments about the council on my public page or via PM.

How do you mean it isn't personal?

His post where racist and offensive. My messages where not.

Just a quick bump nothing on my Facebook profile says where I work.
Nor am I identifiable can I still say what the :censored: I like in my own time.

Deactivate facebook account /end thread

I remember in the news about a lady who worked at the jobcentre, started having a pop about the unemployed.... Long story short she ended up joining them :thumbsup:

Or remove work info and don't enter conversation with any one other than long term friends and family.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom