1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about widgets.....

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Paul-r1, May 28, 2003.

1. Paul-r1

Paul-r1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Cannon camcorder that only has AV out. I wish to connnect a Bullet Camera too it so I therefore need to enable my AV out socket to be an AV IN socket. Do i just need to purchase one of these widgets (the correct one for my camcorder obviously)?

I also heard that there is a way of enabling the socket to AV IN/OUT via the PC. Does this make a permanent change or does the camcorder need to remain connected to the PC?

Basically I have fitted a Bullet camera to my motorbike and just wish to be able to record myself at the Nurburgring with my camcorder.

I hope all the above makes sense and thanks for any help you people can give me.

Paul

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Basically Yes! You need to get a widget to enable the inputs on your camcorder, but there are different types and not all camcorders can be enabled, especially the newer models. Most are a software update that you send to the camcorder from a PC. These can then be disconnected and the inputs will still work. Others are a hardware unit that needs to be controlled by the PC, but these are not very common.
    Check which type is being sold and exactly what model of camcorder you have. Some are even dependent on the serial number of the cam as to weather the inputs can be enabled.

Mark.

3. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Paul.

It is not possible to enable the AV input on a Canon camcorder. It could be possible to enable the DV input on a Cancon Camcorder. This however is no good for bullet cameras. If you let me know the model number you have we can go from there.

MarkE19, sorry to contradict you, but I promise this is correct!!

Cheers

Mark

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    No problem Marktheo. I was talking generally, not specifically to Canon camcorders as I have never used one.

Mark.

5. Paul-r1

Paul-r1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh dear. This sounds bad. The model is MV300
    Thanks loads for all your help. If I am not going to be able to connect my bullet camera to this, can anyone recommend the cheapest digital camcorder that will allow me to do so?

Cheers everyone

6. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Check out the new Canon range as most of them now have analogue inputs too.

Have fun

7. greencroft

greencroft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Canon MV550i for use with a bullet camera in a rally car. It has the required AV-IN socket and also has a LANC socket to which I have attached a remote control. This allows control of the camcorder from the dash of the car with the camcorder tucked away in the boot in a metal box. The bullet cam came from RFConcepts and works superbly.

8. Paul-r1

Paul-r1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Greencroft.
    RF Concepts is where I was going to order the camera from. Tell me, did you go for the HiRes ones (Package 3 or 4) or the low res ones (package 1 or 2)?

Just wondering if the differance in picture is worth the extra money.

Now all I need to do is find the cheapest place to buy an MV550i The idea of being able to control the camera from a remote on the tank sounds great...albeit near impossible to press the buttons no doubt with thick biking gloves on! lol

Anyone recomend anywhere?

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your help.

Paul

9. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

If you need wired remote controls check this site out. http://www.skytools.m.se/products_all.htm

Mainly used for skydiving but work for all types of sports. Good quality too, and good price.

Have fun

Mark T