Question about video format

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Evsterm, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Evsterm

Evsterm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to have my local video editing place transfer my 8mm video tapes into digital video. I want to be able to edit the video in Adobe After Affects. Should I have them put it in mpeg1 or mpeg2 format?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely MPEG2 if you want good quality picture

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    For best quality with easiest editing at a later date you really want the video to be in .AVI format. The problem with this is that the files will be very big, ie 4 minutes of .AVI video will eat up 1Gb of space, so a single layer DVD disc would only hold around 20 minutes of footage. Perhaps the best option would be to get the .AVI video onto an external HDD to make it easy to take from the shop and get onto your PC for editing - but obviously this could be fairly expensive.

Mark.

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Or how about recording to MiniDV tapes - on the assumption that you have a MiniDV camcorder.
    Then you get top quality (.AVI) and an hour per tape, with the flexibility of editing at your leisure! :thumbsup: