Question about using 4k sources with a legacy AV amp...

Saxon

Established Member
Reaction score
OK here's the deal and I'm hoping that somebody can help!

I have an old but very nice Pioneer SC-LX73 which supports 1080p and has many HDMI inputs, no 4k pass through. It is DTS HD Mstr audio capable and drives a quality 5.1 speaker setup.
I am buying a 4k projector this week, there's no TV in the room to worry about
Sources:
4k bluray player with two HDMI outs
Amazon Fire Stick 4K for streaming Netflix, Prime and Disney+ with single HDMI out
Freesat 4 Recordable TV box with single HDMI out

Ideally I only want to run a single HDMI cable to the projector. I want to run the sound output through my Pioneer AV amp while sending a 4k video feed to the projector.

What's the best way to do this to ensure that I get 4k video from as many of these sources as possible to the projector? Do I need some kind of switching box or splitter box?

I'm finding this stuff quite hard to get my head around. In the longer term I will upgrade the AV amp which will simplify things but I don't have the money right now.

I would be very grateful for advice,

Saxon

Last edited:
If you had combination of sources equal to the TV inputs, then source goes direct into each hdmi input. Then hdmi audio cable from that source to avr so you have two hdmi cables per source, one for video, one for audio. That's if every source has two hdmi outs which they don't so...

One option would be to use coaxial/optical outputs on the source, so at least you get DD/DTS, but you won't get hd audio.

But at least it'll work, and you'll get best hd sound and 4k picture from your BD player. And 4k video from your other sources, with legacy DD/DTS.

I had that for a while (4k HDR TV, but AV pre is so old no even having hdmi)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks rcarguy, your solution works fine for TV's that are usually close to their sources and which have multiple HDMI inputs. It's not very practical though for a projector with just two HDMI inputs and which needs a 7m HDMI cable to reach it.
The idea of using Toslink though did give me an idea. I suspect with a box like this:

Amazon product ASIN B07JJS6SVD
I could plug the freesat HD box and the Amazon Fire stick 4K into it and then run Toslink into the AV amp from it for audio. I would then run HDMI from it into the HDMI2 input on the projector.
The 4k blu-ray player which is DTS HD MSTR Audio capable would be plugged in using both its HDMI outs - one going to the projector for 4k video and the other HDMI carrying the audio to the AV amp.

I did find an even more expensive (£100) box that I think eliminates the need for Toslink altogether but I'm not sure there's anything to gain because Toslink is good enough for the best audio available from the Amazon Fire TV stick and the Freesat box.

Thoughts anyone?

Having dual display adds complexity, means using boxes like that, that might cause issues- HDMI is not exactly the most trouble free protocol, HDCP and locking on issues etc..

Maybe it's time to get a new amp...

like my brother whos got a 1080p plasma, a projector and a older non HDMI av pre...with BD, Kodi box etc, really just bodging it - no HD audio, no HDMI routing, no dual display, issues with sources not having optical/coaxial out (only single HDMI)

It's certainly time to get a new amp and it's only a question of funds having just purchased a new 4k projector and a nice 106" screen... You're right though - wasting £100 on a box to enable everything to work with my existing amp may well be false economy when it will be a paperweight when the amp gets upgraded in a few months...

Dilemma!

Saxon

Cheaper solution (with HD Audio) :

Amazon product ASIN B07PS4JGX1
Deluxe version :
HdFury Vertex 2

There are some solutions with several hdmi output like the Vertex 2 (search Hdmi Matrix) and some versions with 4K output 2.0 + 1080p output 1.4 (for your AVR)

Am in a similar boat, but with an even older Primare processor with no hdmi sockets. I'm using a hdmi switch from Lindy with optical out. Albeit I have an older Lindy switch that only has 4k@30hz pass through. Planning to get this one as upgrade:

Basically, it'll get you DD/DTS ES and EX out from the hdmi signal. So don't expect a nice lossless DolbyHD...

As an alternatively option, does your Blu-ray player have a separate hdmi out for audio? Or a 7.1 analogue output?

Am in a similar boat, but with an even older Primare processor with no hdmi sockets. I'm using a hdmi switch from Lindy with optical out. Albeit I have an older Lindy switch that only has 4k@30hz pass through. Planning to get this one as upgrade:

Basically, it'll get you DD/DTS ES and EX out from the hdmi signal. So don't expect a nice lossless DolbyHD...

As an alternatively option, does your Blu-ray player have a separate hdmi out for audio? Or a 7.1 analogue output?

I have noticed improvement in HD audio codecs. Sometimes it's best to update, I understand it's expensive but if you've had it donkeys years it's not too bad.

Also with 7.1 out...just 7.1 .not full atmos, DTS X >8 ch etc

I already had the power amplifiers for atmos. Speakers cost me £400 which isn't that bad for two pair, plus speaker cable £30 and banana plugs £20.

Plus now get OSD for setup, info, volume etc, dont have to faff around with my HDMI switch

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, totally with you there, it's definitely a compromise and a stop gap until one can upgrade to a posh new processor/receiver. Sometimes you just have to weigh up your options to get by with what you've got. With you on the OSD hassle, have to use a dinky old TV with old skool composite/svideo input for my Primare processor... Good job, I don't need to tweak things very often.

For me, I'm still only rocking a 5.1 speakers, so not using any funky speakers in the ceiling yet. For HD Audio, I do have a decent Cambridge Audio Blu-ray player which can output HD audio over 7.1 analogue to my processor, which works well.

One day, I'll upgrade, but a decent processor with Atmos and HDMI 2.0 etc of similar quality to my Primare is going to set me back a few grand. :-/

Yep, totally with you there, it's definitely a compromise and a stop gap until one can upgrade to a posh new processor/receiver. Sometimes you just have to weigh up your options to get by with what you've got. With you on the OSD hassle, have to use a dinky old TV with old skool composite/svideo input for my Primare processor... Good job, I don't need to tweak things very often.

For me, I'm still only rocking a 5.1 speakers, so not using any funky speakers in the ceiling yet. For HD Audio, I do have a decent Cambridge Audio Blu-ray player which can output HD audio over 7.1 analogue to my processor, which works well.

One day, I'll upgrade, but a decent processor with Atmos and HDMI 2.0 etc of similar quality to my Primare is going to set me back a few grand. :-/

Yeah I just went for chinese brand AV pre (£1050) It works well enough.

It's similar to that basically the same unit

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom