Question about Toshiba HD-XE1 and Panasonic PH9? Help needed

macguffin

Hi everyone, did'nt know which forum to put this in but I beleive it is HD dvd related. I have recently bought my first HD DVD film, Children of Men and noticed movement and motion within the film was quite skittish, I presume that this is the dreaded motion judder, but i am not 100% sure. The film was played on a HD-XE1 fed into a Panasonic PH9 via hdmi. My question is, will this problem be solved when i update the firmware upgrade of 1080p/24 to the HD player? Also the PH9 has a frequency range of 48Hz-120Hz, it will not do 24Hz, will this matter? or will it just double from 24hz to 48Hz? will i still expeirence motion judder at 48Hz? Lastly, will the player and PH9 automatically recognise these signals or do you somehow select these setting via the menus.
thx
macguffin

MJeeves

Hi everyone, did'nt know which forum to put this in but I beleive it is HD dvd related. I have recently bought my first HD DVD film, Children of Men and noticed movement and motion within the film was quite skittish, I presume that this is the dreaded motion judder, but i am not 100% sure. The film was played on a HD-XE1 fed into a Panasonic PH9 via hdmi. My question is, will this problem be solved when i update the firmware upgrade of 1080p/24 to the HD player? Also the PH9 has a frequency range of 48Hz-120Hz, it will not do 24Hz, will this matter? or will it just double from 24hz to 48Hz? will i still expeirence motion judder at 48Hz? Lastly, will the player and PH9 automatically recognise these signals or do you somehow select these setting via the menus.
thx
macguffin

Good questions. I too would like to know this but for a "proposed" 1080p /24fps Pioneer plasma.

J

jackal

Good questions. I too would like to know this but for a "proposed" 1080p /24fps Pioneer plasma.

All new Pioneers since Gen 6(?) have been able to accpet a 1080p 24 signal. This is scaled back internally to the native resolution of the screen and given a refresh rating of 72Hz (exactly 3x24).

The results are very good from my Sony PS3. Completely free of judder. The PQ also improves because there are fewer scaling / processing steps occurring (i.e. no interlacing/deinterlacing).

I don't know about the Panasonic sceen.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I thought the Panny were not 24Hz friendly, therefore without a compatible video processor, then 24p output will be of no use what so ever to us Panny owners.

forrestgump

quite correct nic, no 24frames per second on the panny's, I think this feature is over-exaggerated and was it not pioneer who first mentioned this? unless one is sitting very close to the screen I cannot see it making much of a difference, I have seen the 50PX70/EX1 together and the 508XD/EX1 and both displayed astounding pictures from superman HD-DVD and King Kong.

sometimes we forget that the actual discs can vary in picture quality so IMHO the 24fps is not the holy grail

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I think I will be much more interested in which makers of HD players (red or blue) will equip their players with a [email protected] outputs first, as this might make compatibility even better (and eliminat 3:2 judder), with a forced option obviously for 'pass through' receivers. The clock is ticking...

macguffin

So guys you are saying that the 1080p/24 update shortly to be releashed by toshiba will be of no use to us panny owners and the only viable option is to use a video processor to output at 48HZ or wait for toshiba to release a 48Hz update. I hope this is not true because watching children of men is a very uncomfortable expierence, every time someone moves or the camera moves i expierence this weired effect i can only presume to be 3:2 pull down judder, it is like i have had to much to drink. I do not see this effect on upscaled dvd's. A classic scene is chapter 2 were the camera pans across a side board with picture frames of a young michael caine, it very distracting. It silmilar to when i purchased a region 1 sd film from the states years ago to play on my arcam 88 plus, a constant jerky stutterung image when the camera moved. i eventually sold the dvd. Dont get me wrong the resolution is fantastic and this is only my first HD dvd purchase but i hope I dont expeirence this problem on other HD dvds as i dont think i could live with this quality.
macguffin

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I suspect it might be true ;). The problem is not with the Toshiba as it will offer all options but with the plasma not being able to accept evey new and yet un thought of combination. 3:2 is there on all HD film sources that are 60hz based, just like all 60Hz film based DVDs, like all the US based ones. 3:2 is on all current HD DVD and Blu ray film discs, if you don't like the effect (some don't notice it, some tollerate it, some detest it) then your options are a new plasma or a video processor.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom