Question about the Yamaha RXV640RDS

Lee James

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was recommended this great amp by Nick_UK. The price is excellent (since it's last year's stock) and I'm thinking about getting it.

Just a few questions though...

Wattage?
Nick told me it's 6 x 85w and some sites agree, like this one:
http://www.soundandvisiononline.com...product_id=1011

But other sites that say it's 6 x 135w, including the official Yamaha homepage. Look:
http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homec...ers/rx-v640rds/ Confusing or what?

Colour?
Another little thing that confuses me is the colour. I've seen black advertised for £250, but the "titanium" version (from the same dealers) is £300. Is the titanium actualy any better than the black, other than aesthetically?

7.1 output?
Finally — as I understand it — this model can only support 6.1 channels. I was toying with the idea of getting a 7.1 system, since I'm buying all the speakers and amp all at once, and I don't plan on upgrading for years, so I want my purchase to date well. (Plus the idea of having 8 speakers in my living room actually excites me sexually!) Could anyone recommend a similar Yamaha model that supports 7.1 channels? Perhaps something from last year's range (like the RXV640RDS)? Or is 7.1 very new?

Oh, and also: is 7.1 really so much better than 6.1? I can't imagine there being much difference. Certainly not so much that it warrants spending an extra couple of hundred quid on the system. But I haven't heard it!

All advice welcome and appreciated! :)

Hi there

Why not stretch your budget a little and get the Yamaha DSPAX750SE can be had for as little as £330 now I think. Very good in surround and stereo :smashin: Currently run mine with 9 speakers and a sub :D :D

Scooter3

Wow! 10 speakers!!!!!!!

Thanks for the recommendation of the Yamaha DSPAX750SE. Sounds great!

I'm such a big kid. I want 10 speakers now and I have no idea what good they are! :)

Scooter, could you please explain how you have the 9 speakers set up? Like, centre, front L,R, back L,R, rear L,R... erm... where are the others? And surely there are no DVDs that have 9.1 sound on them? Surely there are no amps that know how to split the sound between 9 speakers?

The wattage issue is easy to explain - the Yamaha site is quoting the DIN wattage, and the other site is quoting the RMS wattage. I was a little dubious about the output of the Yamaha, because I was replacing an elderly Sherwood amp that was 6 x 100W, and I thought I would miss the extra power. I needn't have worried, because the Yamaha packs a good punch.

I have 6.1 with my amp, but the centre rear usually only works when I'm using Dolby Surround, because very few DVD's have 6.1 sound encoded in Dolby Digital. There's not a lot of point in littering your room with speakers if there is no sound coming out of them. There's no difference between the black and titanium amps - just choose the one that matches the rest of your gear.

I use a 640 and I think it's a great amp. My only complaint is that it does not have an audio delay feature so lip sync is sometimes an issue for me as I'm using a DLP tv. I may have to upgrade for that reason alone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom