Quantcast

Question about the red tinted black on Pioneers

DarkJoe

When your TV suffers from this is it obvious and is it typically something that affects the whole screen? In a complete dark room with a complete black screen I can just barely see a little red tint coming through on the left top and bottom. Maybe about a half inch in from the bezel but that's it and then it stops and it is almost undetectable. I do not see any tint on 90% of the screen . Is this what people are typically seeing or is it usually a uniform red tint across the whole screen? Mine is undetectable even if there is an image on the screen because it causes too much reflective light in the dark room for it to be noticeable. If someone could explain this phenomenon to me in a little bit more detail and what people are experiencing I would appreciate it. Is this something that affects most 9g kuros?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I recently picked up a heavily used Pioneer. First day watching it and there was Harry Potter film on ITV with black bars top and bottom which very much had a deep dark red appearance. I did the recommended adjustments in the service menu and not noticed the problem since. Ideally though I should have recorded a bit of the Harry Potter film so I could do before/after comparisson but I've not spotted any problem since.

DarkJoe

I recently picked up a heavily used Pioneer. First day watching it and there was Harry Potter film on ITV with black bars top and bottom which very much had a deep dark red appearance. I did the recommended adjustments in the service menu and not noticed the problem since. Ideally though I should have recorded a bit of the Harry Potter film so I could do before/after comparisson but I've not spotted any problem since.
I read about 100 pages on the forums about this topic and it seems that problems after doing these adjustments show up but not for a while after. Mine is nearly undetectable with the human eye and only along the outer edge on the left side so I'm not at the point where I'm willing to mess with it yet because it's still nearly perfect. I'm just wondering if typically the red is seen uniformly across the whole screen or just in small sections. Also is it easily detectable typically or very hard to notice (dark room)

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Well if what I was seeing was the talked about red tint then it was uniform across the black bars at least. I wasn't looking for it but as I walked in to the room I immediately thought those black bars don't look right. Room was darkish, I think very late afternooon but I hadn't got round to switching the lights on. If you're not really noticing it and you are happy with the picture I would try to just forget about it until it becomes a problem that you don't have to look for to spot.

geese

If im not wrong many many have tweaked their kuro's and the issue hasnt returned......maybe others can shed some light on it but I havent seen many confirm the tint coming back. A tweak is well worth it and you can get even better mll, especially with 500A/M.

DarkJoe

Well if what I was seeing was the talked about red tint then it was uniform across the black bars at least. I wasn't looking for it but as I walked in to the room I immediately thought those black bars don't look right. Room was darkish, I think very late afternooon but I hadn't got round to switching the lights on. If you're not really noticing it and you are happy with the picture I would try to just forget about it until it becomes a problem that you don't have to look for to spot.
I will probably try the procedures if it gets worse.
If im not wrong many many have tweaked their kuro's and the issue hasnt returned......maybe others can shed some light on it but I havent seen many confirm the tint coming back. A tweak is well worth it and you can get even better mll, especially with 500A/M.
Do you still have the instructions of how to do it with the service remote? I'd like to know how to do this without having to dig through the forums again because I'm sure sooner or later I'm going to need to try it.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Is it an actual service remote or a Logitech that you need to get programmed?

Based on everything I read and advice given when I got mine, once on the right page in the service menu, lower RSTP to 1. The other one you want to look at is the one at or near the bottom of that list that is labelled with letter/numbers with SAD at the end. I think it should be on 128 if no one has previously touched it but it seems the figure you want to lower it to might be dependent on how many hours your set has done. I'm in the process of a long term experiment with mine before I settle on a figure.

DarkJoe

Is it an actual service remote or a Logitech that you need to get programmed?

Based on everything I read and advice given when I got mine, once on the right page in the service menu, lower RSTP to 1. The other one you want to look at is the one at or near the bottom of that list that is labelled with letter/numbers with SAD at the end. I think it should be on 128 if no one has previously touched it but it seems the figure you want to lower it to might be dependent on how many hours your set has done. I'm in the process of a long term experiment with mine before I settle on a figure.
I am having a remote company that specializes in programming remotes put the Pioneer service menu hex code on one of the remotes. They're called genuinecopies. So you could notice the red tint on yours pretty easily? Could you also notice the red tint in the center of the screen during dark scenes in movies? Would you have to be in a completely dark room to notice it?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Well as mine was a used set I obviously didn't notice things slowly changing as I may have done if I'd owned from new. The day I noticed the red tint to the black bars as mentioned on the previous posts was the first day I used the TV. Two days later, Logitech had loaded the hex code onto my accound and I went straight into the service menu and performed the suggested alterations so I never really had a chance to see if I could notice problems throughout the picture.

geese

Do you still have the instructions of how to do it with the service remote? I'd like to know how to do this without having to dig through the forums again because I'm sure sooner or later I'm going to need to try it.
Its very easy. You press the SM button ( im sure they will tell you which one ), then mute and you are in. RSTP at 01, then SAD at whatever that works for you. My 500A had redtint on the right side and a bit on bars, put RSTP at 06, SAD is now at 100-102. I could get it much darker but the set has 6900K, so I dont want to push it too much.

generalgizmo

I had red tint on my 5090 which I had bought brand new ... after owning it a couple yrs I noticed a purple hue appearing from the bottom left or right..(cant remember as long time ago) I went mad ...understandable considering what I paid for apparently the best TV since sliced bread... it drove me mad until I got my logitech ... couldnt watch in a dark room and made me angry each time I watched it and it was behaving normal according to pioneer...in the end I got a 2nd hand krp500 for my den which I used to test it on.. had 19000 hrs and whole screen was riddled with the tint like a magenta cloud covering the screen on a dark scene. the voltage tweak worked a treat was like a new TV and the colours popped so much more...best pic I had seen for yrs..(until my Panasonic 4khdr oled) having red tint and clearing it can be the difference between a joy to watch or a situation where you want rid of the TV if it's that bad... if it gets that bad PM someone on here and sure they'd be willing to help you through the procedure..