Question about the Cycling and High Jump yesterday

Discussion in 'Sport' started by nheather, Aug 8, 2012.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,506
    I'm not a great follower of sport, I like it but often not too well up on the rules. I have two questions from events yesterday that you may be able to help with.

Cycling
    When Pendleton got disqualified in the first race it seems to be bacause she was elbowed and barged so was forced out of the lane. I'm not whinging about Pendleton's loss - I actually think that the australian looked the better rider anyway. But it was clear that Pendleton went out of the lane but the elbow barge must have been discounted. Does this mean that pushing and elbowing is allowed - if so why don't you just get some real heavyweight sumo cyclist who just shuffs the competitors out of the lane.

High Jump
    Briton got the Bronze. But as far as I could see he succeeded and failed in exactly the same way as the guy from Qatar. Why wasn't there a tie for bronze.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    There was a three-way tie for bronze, so our athlete and the athletes from Qatar and Canada all got a bronze medal.

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,506
    I thought that's how it should be, but the BBC live reporting just said that Grabarz had got bronze - factually correct but a bit blinkered.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Her DQ was a bit contentious. Elbowing (any physical contact in fact) is not allowed but inevitably there is a bit of banging but they tend to let it go. As you say VP did go out of her lane and it appeared to be because she was pushing back against the Mears and inevitably when Mears moved VP moved right a little. VP though didn't impede Mears and I agree with the view of Chris Boardman who said that the result should have been allowed to stand as there was nothing dangerous about VP momentarily coming out of her lane.