1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about th-42pv500 with gamecube

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DarkPhantomLord, Jul 10, 2005.

1. DarkPhantomLord

DarkPhantomLord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

can someone please tell me how the graphics are one this plasma tv (th-42pv500) connected to a gamecube system with a component cable from nintendo? I get this plasma tv very soon and i'm very exited about it.

And I hope someone can tell me what the best settings are, to get the best picture quality.

I hope to hear from someone soon!

Thanks in advance!

Tim

2. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    Gamecube looks very nice on my 42PV500 through component.I've got a NTSC Cube and the PV500 seems to look better with progressive scan left off on Gamecube software.

At the moment I have a problem with the screen size when using my cube as there are 2 inch borders along both sides.Usually this wouldn't be a problem as you can stretch the horizontal/vertical size through service menu's but the PV500 doesn't appear to have these options on the service menu

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How exactly does progressive look worse? Does not make any sense at all.

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    because the tv's de-interlacing is better than the gamecubes? unless the graphics are processed in progressive, if they are then yes it makes little sense!

5. DarkPhantomLord

DarkPhantomLord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why does progressive scan look worse? what kind of cable do you have for progressive scan on gamecube? I don't think s-video(composite) will look better than component.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    When you choose progressive on a gamecube the graphics are 720x480, when in interlaced mode the cube is only kicking out 720x240 even and then 720x480 odd, so there is actually missing info with interlaced, and your tv is adding info that isn't there, so I can't see it looks better, it may look softer with smoother edges, whcih you may prefer?

7. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    Like Chedmaster said the PV500 does a better job of de-interlacing the graphics than the Gamecube actually does itself.I use an official component and IMO the graphics looks slighty better if I don't select progressive scan mode,gizlacor your point holds true on CRT televisions but a plasma screen is progressive by default so interlacing doesn't come into it since it converts every image into progressive scan.

Obviously if I use an s-video or composite lead the picture quality isn't going to be nice as a component connection.I also run an xbox,dvd player and PS2 through component and they all look better when they process the progressive scan image themselves, it's just the Gamecube which doesn't process progressive as well as the actual TV.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I think you have missed the point, progressive on a console is not like progressive on a dvd player, a dvd player adds info that is not there, where as choosing progressive on a console you are getting a higher resolution.

Think of it like this, if you took two films and played them back on a 1280x720 plasma, one in 720p HD and another at 480i on DVD, by the time you see it on the screen it is 720p from both, but only the one has 720 lines of info.
    It is the same for the GC, when choosing progressive it is not de interlacing 480i, it is actually showing more info.

My HD6 panel looks alot better with progressive, without it smooths all the edges out but is no where near as sharp.

9. DarkPhantomLord

DarkPhantomLord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people say: when you run a gamecubegame not in progressive scan, you get 480i. If I'm right, :lease: it's all about this plasma that can't make an 480i picture possible. You guys, please tell me that a cubegame in progressive look awesome! The reason I'm gonna buy this plasma is that a can run cubegames in progressive (and of course the upcoming xbox 360 for high definition.) ;)

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I don't think anyone is saying the GC looks bad in progressive scan mode, but the guys are saying that they think it looks better when run interlaced.
    Rememer that everything you see on a digital display is progressive, the screens are naturally progressive themselves, but if you have something that does the deinterlacing better than the screen you may as well do it before the screen.

11. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    All I'm saying is I run an NTSC Gamecube through an official Nintendo component lead on my PV500 and the non progressive mode on Metroid prime 2 looks slighty sharper than when i run progressive mode.On the flipside when I run Halo 2 through the xbox at 480p it looks quite a bit better than 480i

I can't vouch for a HD6 as I've never seen one but IMO the Cube doesn't seem to process 480p as good as the PV500's de-interlacer.

12. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    DarkPhantomLord, I was in no way saying the Cube looks poor on a PV500, in fact it looks bloody awesome, I'm just pointing out that the PV500 is doing a hell of a job de-interlacing the GC.

13. DarkPhantomLord

DarkPhantomLord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot! it's a big relief that the cubegames looks awesome with a component cable! So, progressive scan looks almost the same as interlaced, I still think it's weird because progressive scan has to be better than interlaced, but the cube's progressive mode isn't that great then.

14. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    Yeah the Cube's progressive mode is great.I had a Tosh CRT before the panny and it looked far better than interlaced, it's just the quality of the PV500 that levels the playing field.

Honestly you will have no doubts about spending over 2k on this plasma when you see it in action.I had lots of reservations about the price but I don't now.

15. DarkPhantomLord

DarkPhantomLord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really hope I made the right choice with this plasma to play cubegames because I will play on this plasma untill xbox 360 arrives, then you can see this pany's full power in hd!

16. DarkPhantomLord

DarkPhantomLord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please give me your favorite picture settings, when playing with gamecube?

17. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :)

Korum, may I ask what Tosh CRT you were previously using?

Sorry for being off-topic. :blush:

18. DarkPhantomLord

DarkPhantomLord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today they finally brought my plasma screen! :clap:

But I've got a burning question: When I use my nintendo (official) component cable I don't see a difference with s-video!(I've got a modded cube: Qoob pro chip, there in the menuscreen you can choose 480p, ntsc,pal and auto.
    How can you choose 480i(interlaced) instead of progressive scan? with or without a modded cube?

Greatings,

Tim

19. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    yeah ddlooping it was a 32ZD26P. It looked great in prog scan mode but some occasional image distorion when running the Cube in 480p.

20. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the reply, Korum. :)

I was hoping you had a 36ZD48P, as I'd like to hear how it compares to the 42PV500 (and the Hitachi 7200, the new Samsung HD...). ;)