Question about Technics RS-B605 Stereo Cassette Deck.

Eddy55

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi.

My knowledge of Hi Fi equipment is next to nothing and I was wondering if someone could help with a question.

I have a Technics RS-B605 Stereo Cassette Deck, plugged it in with some headphones and all seems to work fine but for the 'rec level' which I presumed was volume doesn't seem to work, does it have to be connected to speakers or something else to work?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 239
The "rec level" control's used for setting the volume when recording to a cassette. It won't have any effect on playback volume.

My Sony cassette decks are the same and it renders the headphone output a bit useless as the level is set too loud for comfortable listening. All my other separates with headphone sockets have a "phones level" control. I don't why they were left off the cassette decks.

The "rec level" control's used for setting the volume when recording to a cassette. It won't have any effect on playback volume.

My Sony cassette decks are the same and it renders the headphone output a bit useless as the level is set too loud for comfortable listening. All my other separates with headphone sockets have a "phones level" control. I don't why they were left off the cassette decks.

Thanks for that, so there is not any standard volume control on this tape deck?

Last edited:
No, unfortunately not. Generally you would have it connected to an amp and speakers and control the volume on the amp.

What we would need is a clear photo of the back of the Cassette Deck. It is possible that it has both FIXED and VARIABLE Outputs. FIXED would bypass the built-in volume control, while the variable output would respond to the control thereby allowing you to use the Cassette Deck as a Pre-Amp, which is what I assume you want to do.

Give us an expanded description of the full system so we have some context. If you are trying to drive Active Speakers or Studio Monitors that might be possible, but we need to know what you have and how you intend to use it to make practical recommendations.

Steve/bluewizard

Also, curious does the REC Level control effect the level on the Headphone Out?

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom