1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Tagtronic Bus for Tag Mclaren gears

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by zcaps57, Jan 27, 2003.

1. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok.

I understand the benefit of Tagtronic Bus link between DVD32R and AV192R. - shares data between transport and master clock resulting in reduced jitter and better sonic performance.

I'm curious what benefit this Tagtronic Bus gives us when AV192R processor is coupled with their 100x5R and 250x3R amplifiers.

I'm thinking of buying a AV192R processor..... probably.... with DVD32R. (the fact that DVD32R cannot output SDI is a big minus for me). :(

Also, is there anyone who uses Tag power amps to drive B&W Nautilus 802 ??

To drive my N802, I plan to add one of these amps.
    1. Classe
    2. Bryston
    3. Tag

Any opinions ? :)

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The tagtronic bus also allows remote activation of other Tag components(such as power amps etc) and control over things like the display lighting levels.

Thus from the power amp point of view,it's functions are quite limited....indeed it's really only the convenience of switching everything on via one box.

To move to your other question about power amps for your Nautilus speakers.....I use Nautilus 805's in my system,and was very careful to audition them with Tag power amps prior to keeping the power amps I already had.
    My impression of the Tags,(which fits in with a number of other people also)was that they are relatively smooth and reasonably powerful,but lack low end control,and also sound somewhat closed in as far as the treble register goes.

You should also bear in mind the current requirements of your 802's which is at least as heavy as my 805's.

I'd suggest you go with the Bryston amps for your speakers,or Krell if your budget goes that far,as the Classe's also sound a bit soft.Another good option is Chord.....good clean power delivery and generally untroubled by low impedance loads.

In the end though,the only way to decide is to listen,preferably in your own home....draw up a shortlist of amps,and find a friendly dealer.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I don't like the Tag 5x100R one bit. I'd take an Arcam P7 over one of those any day, no contest. But Bryston is better still, and (I am told) very good at handling sudden demands for current which are a characteristic of Nautilus speakers. Classe I have no experience of.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a demo this morning with TAG components and the explaination that was given to me was it was for software download and optional multi-room expansion.

The TAGtronis synchronisation link was for lowest jitter.

5. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the valuable inputs, gents. I highly appreciate them.

Chord and Krell... they're in my list now. :)

Alex, I see you have a Linn CD player with a Tag processor. How do you like them ? Have you compared its sonic performance to DVD32R ?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I used the Linn for some time as a Cd player in a HiFi system and have since used it as a transport with a Perpetual Technologies P1A and P3A Dac/Upsampler before using it in my current system with the upsampler.

The DVD32R is a very good dvd player,but not(like most dvd players) a great CD player.....in comparison to the Linn/P3A combination,it sounds soft and lacks detail at both ends of the frequency spectrum.....but obviously you are comparing a £2.5k dvd player with a CD transport/upsampler costing a similar amount.

Certainly,IMHO,running upsampled/interpolated CD into the Tag at 24/96 data rates does substantially improve it's performance sonically.

7. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Tag sync-link and Tagtronic bus are seperate systems. The Sync-link uses an analogue interconnect to link the DVD32R or CD20 to the AV32R to reduce jitter.
    The Tagtronic bus uses a CAT5 (computer Ethernet) cable to link the Tag components together for data communication. The cable carries RS485 data, it's not a standard computer network. The cable allows the AV32R to turn on and off the amp modules when required, eg. only the modules configured for left/right will be turned on when listening to stereo. The bus also allows more sophisticated integration, for example, the DVD32R being able to tell the AV32R the aspect ratio of the DVD so that the AV32R can activate action switches to adjust the projection screen.
    If you do decide to use a non-Tag amp then you can still use the action switches on the back of the AV32R 7.1 and AV192R to switch on and off a multi-channel amp with a trigger input.