Question about syncing iPad to new laptop, when it's already sync'd to iCloud

Discussion in 'iPad Forum' started by Azzin, Jul 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Ok....!

So my neighbour has an iPad 2, that was (about a year ago he thinks) sync'd to iTunes on his laptop.

That laptop has suffered a painful death and he's just carried on using his iPad.

He's now got a new laptop and would like to use that to now add content to the iPad, but is obviously worried that if he syncs it (for example to add some photos), it will wipe his iPad and he'll end up with nothing on it except for the standard "out of the box" apps.

Presumably, he could then just sign in to the App Store on the iPad and re download the apps so that's not an issue, but he has progress in some games and stuff saved in some apps (I think one of them is called "Things")

If nothing else, he's safe as he has an up to date iCloud backup, but how can he now add stuff to the iPad (photos being the one he's really interested in).

Hopefully that makes sense!

Cheers gurus! :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. peebly

peebly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
  3. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Good point, thanks.

The apps can obviously be re downloaded, but what about the data that currently resides in them?

4. DanParker

DanParker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I've had to do this when I've had computer issues and had to reinstall windows. I plugged in the iPad when connected to iTunes, right click on the name of the iPad in the left and select transfer purchases. All apps will be copied to the library. Then when you sync the iPad under the apps heading make sure all the apps are ticked.

5. peebly

peebly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The apps I use are mostly apple so they back up to iCloud, the others I just except they don't have iCloud support.

Music can be redownloaded like apps so can books.

Games seem to be the least likely to use iCloud.

All so take a look at Dropbox, some apps can back up data to that.

6. DanParker

DanParker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The method I used above seemed to have kept all my data for my apps.

7. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi there,sorry to butt in,ive been reading some Batman and superman comics,using Ehon to read them,trouble is,i cant get them onto my ipad,i was hoping i could put them into documents folder,and retrive from the icloud,but nope,wont work.
    i would really like to be using icloud,but i dont know how to really.
    i thought it was straight forward,"transferring"data from MBP to ipad,via icloud,but as per usual,icloud seems to be abit picky....

this is proper basic,and maybe should start my own thread,but as this one was here.....How do i use icloud???
    Even if i had some documents,say,notes,i write a note on my MBP,then it should also be on my ipad,under notes...right?
    so,about my comics,couldnt they be in documents,in my MBP,(they are mainly cbr,cbz files),but then,where is documents on the ipad?
    im a wee bit confused about this,as you might be able to tell,i just cant find anything,except reminders on the icloud....