question about SVS

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Spacedog, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading so many good reviews i feel very tempted to order the SVS 25-31PCi. I was thinking about buying the B&W ASW600 but now i have the feeling that the SVS is much much better.

SVS 25-31PCi or ASW600?

I know this may sound a stupid question but I'm confused...

By the way, what kind of power plug comes with the sub? the "3-pins" plug or the "2-pins" plug? You see, i live in Portugal and i don't know if the sub will work here (here is 220V and "2-pins" plug)

Can you help me?

Thank you very much.

2. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Don't know which sub would suit you best, that's depending on a lot of things, you would probably be very happy with either. I expect someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think if you search through the svs threads you will find that you can cut off the plug and fit a local one.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    SVS fit a 220v amp for Europe. The power socket is similar to a computer and in Uk where we have three pin plugs I just threw away the lead supplied and replaced it with a spare computer lead that I had lying around.

It is my intention to upgrade that lead to a decent one if Mark Grant is still making them.

4. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Ian for your quick reply.

It means that if i get a power cable with a "2-pin" end plug (like the ones we have here in Portugal) i will be able to connect it to the sub, and that's it? (when you refer to "lead" you mean the cable, right?)

Just to confirm that i understood your post...

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    That's correct. A cable with a computer type plug on one end and whatever you use in Portugal on the other will be fine.

6. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank very much again Ian.

Just one last thing: in the SVS site i saw that, in the back of the 25-31PCi, the power socket only has 2 pins. the power socket of my computer, for example, has 3. why is that? the sub don't have "ground" connection, is that it?

Thanks a lot again for your time.

By the way, i know you have a SVS :) but, in your opinion, do you think the 25-31PCi is better than the B&W ASW600? (i've read comparatives here in the forum with the ASW675 but couldn't find any with the ASW600).

Thanks a lot again.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The sub won't have a ground connection that needs to be earthed through the mains cable.

A couple of forum members have had both SVS and B&W ASW675 but I don't know of anyone who has the ASW600 and I'm afraid that I've never heard one so can't offer an opinion.

8. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to bother you again but, about the "ground" thing, you said before in a post that you just threw away the cable supplied and replaced with one of your own. How did you "earth" that cable? Or i'm getting all wrong? If you plug the cable into a "earthed" plug will it do the trick?

Sorry for all the questions and thankz again.

9. ridd

ridd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The simple answer is you cut the 2 pin molded plug off the lead then fit a normal plug of whatever type your country uses.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Like Ian I had to replace the original SVS supplied cable. I didn't like using an extension cable due to the subwoofer's heavy drain on the mains power on dynamic peaks.

Finding a loose IEC plug to fit the sub was a nightmare. I visited lots of retailers and couldn't find anything that wasn't moulded onto the cable.

At the third DIY superstore (after trying countless hifi/electrical/computer shops) I found a short rubber 3 core earthed lead with removable plugs that fitted the sub.

I also bought 7 metres of black, flexible, rubber-sheathed, 2 core, 2 x 1.5mm^2 cable and simply replaced the supplied short length of original cable with the longer heavier cable.

This gave me a heavy duty, all black, very flexible mains cable long enough to reach the sub between my main speakers.

SVS subs are not earthed. If you use an earthed cable they won't earth to anything because there won't be an earth connection at the two pin socket on the subwoofer. So it doesn't matter if you use a 3 core earthed cable with a 3 pin plug or a two cored cable with two pin pug.

My 2.5 metre (8 UK feet) SVS supplied mains cable had a moulded on 2 pin mains plug that fitted my Danish mains sockets. Only the UK uses massive 3 pin earthed plugs and sockets as far as I am aware.

Just fit any plug that matches your mains wall sockets if the SVS supplied mains plug doesn't match yours.

Nimby

11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I think the 25-31 is a better sub than the ASW600.
    I am making my asumptions on the basis that I went from a 25-31 PCi to an ASW675 and the latter is significantly better than the ASW600. While the 675 produces high volumes of relatively deep bass, it dosn't produce bass that is as big, if that makes sense. The SVS basicly seems to have more weight to it's bass and is much more capable of rattling the windows!
    However, in my experience B&W subs are tighter than SVS PCi subs, so asses your needs.

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I havent heard the 600 but I did had a brief demo of the ASW650 which I liked and was going to buy until a second hand ASW675 came along in these forums. The B&W's are definately very tight subs - maybe it's the sealed box that reduces a lot of the overhang. They produce the kind of bass I like and at their price points most models in the range are competitive.

Barrie - how are you getting on with your ASW750 - has it fully run in yet and how would you compare it's performance against the SVS you previously owned ?

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    :offtopic:

14. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Rags
    I'm getting on great with the 750, it is a fantastic sub.
    I've manged to run it close to reference a couple of times, but generally it's run at lower volumes, around -15 to- 20 db so it probably hasn't had significant push on the driver to bed it in properly yet. I played the door banging scene in the haunting yesterday at reference and beemed ear to ear as I watched the driver using the long throw capabilities I had not yet seen.
    Looking forward to getting out the flat into our new house so I can relax more with the volumes.

In relation to the SVS 25-31 I think the B&W is in a slightly different leauge. The ASW750 can match the weight which I admired most about the SVS, while being able to go much deeper too.
    I was particularly amazed at the tone it reproduces too. It reproduces a different quality of sub bass I haven't heard before. By this I am mainly refering to music. A bass guitar sound for instance will sound very clean, precise and natural.

What about you Rags?
    Are you waiting on a demo on Matts PB2+ before you decide or do you recon you'll stick with the 750?

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Spacedog,

I would expect the SVS to outperform the B&W 600 overall.

However please remember that there are certain things that count against SVS (some of which can also be construed as positives) -

1. No dealer backup
    2. No demo unless one of the forum members obliges (which I am sure they will if you ask).
    3. Warranty repairs constitute you either shipping the sub back to the States or speaking to SVS direct who will ship the parts to you to replace yourself.
    4. The finish is not to everyones taste and frankly SVS probably save money on this (but put it in to where it counts). They are imo not exactly suited to the living room given their size and/or looks.

SVS are after all a direct seller and there is no such thing as a free lunch. They are cheaper (performance comparable models) than other manufacturers for the reasons stated above and the fact that the exchange rate is very good at the moment.

Barrie - glad your getting on with the sub mate. Your right it does produce a different type of tone and for me it's not down to outright wall shaking ability (which it does rather well too).

I am hopefully going over to Matts next week and if I find the PB2+ to be better performance wise (which I have no doubt it will be) then I will definately put the PB2 Ultra at the top of my shopping list along with a B&W 850.

16. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your time and opinions.

I guess i'll buy the SVS. The only thing that keeps me from being 100% shure is the fact that i'll be using it for music 70% of the time.

I'm affraid that the SVS will be awesome with movies but not so great with music. I mainly listen to alternative pop/rock or 80's alternative (the cure, radiohead, sigur ros, my bloody valentine, slowdive, etc...).

Any of guys (who owns a SVS) can tell me if there's any reason for me to be affraid? Or is the SVS as fit for music as it is for films?

Thankx a lot once again for all your opinions.

17. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Actually most people feel that they are able performers with music as well.

18. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Don't worry about the music making aspect of SVS subs. They have the amazing ability to produce nothing but pure, clean, deep bass. Regardless of volume setting they do not intrude on the higher frequencies.

I run my 16-46 PCi with Mission 753Fs driven my Naim Pre/power using high level connections in stereo only.

If the SVS was coloured, woolly, warm, soft, boomy or distorted I'd be screaming about it from the rooftops! Instead my wife and I have been delighted from the first razor sharp, bone hard, brutally accurate, incredibly deep bass notes to come out of it.

We bought it for music 98% and it is awesome on everything from baroque recorder quartets to full blown classical organ. Dire Straits, Mike Oldfield or Metallica at a steady 100dB are a joy.

The fact that it does great things for film bass effects on satellite TV and video is just a nice bonus as far as we are concerned. It is so good that we are becoming more interested in film and may buy a DVD player directly as a result of owning the SVS.

My wife claims the SVS makes the sound clearer on every kind of music. I agree with her.

I won't bore you with my negative opinions on the ASW675. Let's just say I couldn't give one house room based on a 10 minute demo of well known material on a high-end system. (Film and music)

Just my personal opinions. :D

Nimby

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I must admit that I don't call Foo Fighters music but each to his own.