1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about "squeeze" mode on Denon 3910 (and other models, perhaps?)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Engine Joe, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Engine Joe

Engine Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I right in noting that the 3910 seems to require the user to always manually adjust 4:3 vs. widescreen images?

I have my Denon set up in progressive and 16:9 TV, just as was the case with my old player. But as to the aspect ratios of the source material, my old (relatively inexpensive) DVD player output signal, and my HDTV would auto detect if it was 4:3 content or 16:9 content. That way, when I watched the Simpsons for example, Homer looked appropriately fat, because the DVD player output video in its appropriate aspect ratio by default.

Of course, if I wanted to stretch the 4:3 image to fill up the screen in some way, the TV offers several options, but by default, 4:3 stays 4:3, and 16:9 stays 16:9.

The Denon doesn't appear to allow that, if I understand it - it spits all content out at either 16:9 or 4:3 via the "squeeze mode" either being on or off. If I leave squeeze off, my widescreen material is fine, but 4:3 content is stretched to 16:9. If I turn squeeze on, 4:3 looks great, but it squeezes all 16:9 content to 4:3.

The HDTV, naturally, sees it as the Denon outputs it and keeps it that way. So unless I manually change the squeeze settings with every disk I put in the 3910, my choices are: poor Homer ends up even fatter than he was (squeeze off), or my widescreen images get squished (squeeze on).

Now, finally the question:
    Is there any way to set up the Denon 3910 to output 4:3 content "squeezed" so that it is actually displayed in 4:3 - but leave 16:9 content alone? I have a hard time believing such a feature would be left out, since cheaper players can do it, but I've not found such an option in the manual or by experimentation.

2. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    most displays will lock to 16:9 mode when receiving a progressive signal. however, your 3rd paragraph seems to suggest that your display does allow 4:3 mode with progressive signals. are you sure that when your previous progressive player was outputting 4:3 pillarboxed (squeezed), that your display was still able to stretch it to full screen? if the display locks to 16:9 in progressive then this should not be the case.

my A11 does auto detect 4:3 material when squeeze mode is set to on, so i can view both 4:3 and 16:9 material in their proper aspect ratios without having to keep changing the function in the menu as it will switch automatically. however, i do recall reading somewhere that denon removed this feature for the 3910 (which is essentially a scaled down A11), perhaps to save on cost? this seems a bit cheap though as it surely can't be an expensive feature to implement.

3. Engine Joe

Engine Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for responding!

Yes, my display is able to do this, which I like, because I'm not a big fan of stretching/zooming, overall. Even the better settings, that just stretch the edges so the center of the frame is normal... well, I'd rather just have it as broadcast.

If that's the case, that's pretty inexplicable :confused: . As you say, the feature is almost surely inexpensive, given that cheaper players can do it. What's worse, it isn't even a one button switch, which I could live with (though still not be particularly pleased by), but a full on-screen menu and toggle change.

4. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    if your display is capable of showing progressive signals in 4:3, then surely you can just switch the display to 4:3 mode when viewing 4:3 DVDs? or am i missing something here?

5. Engine Joe

Engine Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I could do that, but that also requires me to do a menu toggle (on the TV). Either way, I have to do an on-screen menu toggle of some kind to keep aspect ratios correct, whereas my old player was such that I didn't have to do anything.