1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about speakers ? *newbie*

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by llanellijack, Mar 28, 2005.

1. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I have a Sony Davs-888 home cinema surround system but now I want to upgrade to a HDMI DVD player to go with my Pioneer 434HDE plasma. My question is, can i use my current speakers and subwoofer with a separate AV receiver and DVD player or will they only be compatible with the DAVS system ?? Also, if I go down the separates route, do I need an AV reciever and an amp or just a receiver ?? What's the difference ?? Sorry if these questions are basic but I'm very new at this. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    an av reciever includes a tuner and everything an av amp has (ie decoder, and all the surround amplified outputs etc), you buy either one or the other, depending upon whether you want a tuner or not. Most are recievers, especially on a budget level as far as i know.

On the dvd question i think it will still have optical and/or coaxial digital out, in which case, as long as your sony has these inputs, you will be ok, but the quality of seperates with decent speakers is always much better.