1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about speaker break in

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by coolposter, Nov 10, 2002.

1. coolposter

coolposter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gurus,

I have couple questions regarding speaker break in.

1, Does speaker break in really matter? Or it's actually break in our ears.

2, How to break in? For how long and how loud? And to use what kind of signal? Also, does speaker type matter? e.g., subwoofer maybe need longer time.

TIA, CP

2. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Speakers definitely improve after the first few hours of use. It's hard to say how many hours are required before you can consider them fully 'run-in, but I believe What Hi Fi? recommend manufacturers only submit for review speakers that have had 70+ hours of use. BTW, my REL sub took about two weeks of fairly regular use to settle down. Generally, a speaker straight from the box sounds a bit weedy, as though the cone movement is restricted. Don't ask me why! I think there are some clever ways of speeding the process up, such as wiring the speakers up out of phase and putting them face to face with a towel over them(!) which pretty much makes them silent so you can leave them on for hours, but if you are not in a hurry you may as well just use them at moderate levels and accept that they'll take a week or two to get into their stride.