Question about Sony 28/32LS35 Smart mode

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by onzey, Sep 26, 2003.

1. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in a store today and compared the picture on a 28LS35 with a 32LS35. With both in Smart mode and same channel there was always more to be seen on the 28" set than the 32" i.e something near the very top/bottom of the screen on the 28 would be missing completely from the 32".
    I am still trying to understand why different TV's produce different "amounts" of picture in full screen modes. Somebody helped me on another thread by explaining a bit about overscan but would just differences in overscan be the case here or is anything else involved in expanding a picture to fill a 32" screen as opposed to filling a 28" screen?

Any thoughts on this gratefully received.

onzey

2. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is possible to move the image vertically (in case an important part of the image is being cut off) in Smart Mode, so maybe it was in different vertical positions on the 2 sets you viewed?

You can adjust the setting with the Up Down cursor keys on the remote when in Smart mode (a small onscreen arrow shows whether you have moved the image above or below the centre line)

Overscan wouldn't obscure as much of image as Smart mode does, but they do use a very generous amount of overscan during the factory setup. It's worth getting the set adjusted to reduce the amount of overscan to the minimum.

Owenw

3. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks owenw. I'm popping in the store again today so if I can get hold of the remote again I'll have a play using the up/down keys

onzey