Question about Sky EPG for Freesat

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ginettaman, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ginettaman

ginettaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Parents have just moved into a house with sky dish installed, I suggested to them they could use it to get Freesat..
    The question is regarding the EPG, I want something easy to use, I know a sky box will have all the non-viewable channels to go through, am I betting getting a cheap Sat box from Ebay, would there EPG be better to work with?

2. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

The official freesat EPG is very nice I think and very responsive. You can also choose which channels to take off the epg but to be fair their are no subscription channels on freesat so they are all watchable. The text services are very quick too. I dont know what your parents watch but if they get freesat then they will have easy access to BBC's 6 interactive streams that they use during sporting events plus they will have BBC HD and ITV HD if they get a HD freesat box. Also iplayer is coming to freesat soon via the LAN port on the box so if they have broadband they could watch bbc iplayer through it.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    If they have to start from scratch in terms of a set top box and have zero interest in subscription telly then Freesat makes more sense over a generic FTA sat box given that all the BBC and ITV, all but one from the CH4 family and the main Five channel are now accessible and a proper 24/7 EPG is provided. As pdoherty76 says there is also the HD option if they have a flat panel and a PVR option if they are feeling flush:)