1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about Sharp LC26GA5E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by phetttt, Jan 16, 2005.

1. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of getting a Sagem dlp tv but im too impatient, so i then thought about a tevion lcd from aldi however i dont know if it's hdcp compatible and they are in short supply.

Then I saw the thread about Sharp displays and like the look of them - so if anyone could help me with these questions...

eg a Sharp LC26GA5 or 32 inch version- is it:

hdcp compatible? - I have a denon 1910 dvd player with DVI

does it have a vga port? - i'd like to connect my powerbook to it (or maybe a mac mini :) )

can it handle console games through scart? ie gc xb dc - not ps2 grrr!!
    is the response rate good?

any answers would be greatly appreciated

cheers

2. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The GA5 is a stripped down version of the GA3/4 so theirs no dvi input , as for VGA i'm not sure but the 26GA3/4 doesn't have one so i would say no.

Theres one scart that can accept RGB so should be ok with game consoles and the responce times are pretty much as good as it gets at the minute.

What you really want is to grab a 26GA3/4 if the DVI input is important to you.

I see your in glasgow so best chance of getting one is probably from robertwhyte as he had a few left a couple of weeks ago.

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    Robert whyte had none in stock last week,i got mine from John Lewis.

4. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for info

5. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Think I had the last 26GA3E from Robert Whyte in Glasgow last week. Sorry Phetttt :blush:

I'm using the Sharp with Freeview via RGB SCART, PS2 via AV and I'm pleased with the picture after tweaking the standard settings - which are way too bright and backlit!! IMO

Managed to get both PC DVI and VGA PC outputs working (VGA via a VGA-->DVI adaptor) on the Sharp's DVI input and the display was solid at 1280x768 but slightly fuzzy at 1368x768. That said, Half-life & Halo were still an absolute blast at 1280 res!!

Now that the unit's mounted on the bedroom wall I have to decide whether to add use a Mac Mini, build a Shuttle SFF PC or go for the Denon 1910 for DVI. I heard great reports of the Denon with the Sharp but will probably save up until I 'go large' with a 42" flatty in the lounge when prices have (hopefully) dropped in 2006 and go for a HDMI player. In the meantime I'm going for the all-in-one Samsung HT-DS470 for £207 at BE Direct after reading some good reviews (component out / progressive scan / FM+DAB / 400W) - should be fine for the bedroom and keep the girlfriend happy by minimising boxes & wires.

Tried using the Philips SBC1400 video sender to hook-up SKy via the RGB SCART but it would only take CVBS (contrary to the spec) even though it was and RGB SCART cable and I had RGB setup on the Sky Box. Picture was solid but PQ wasn't great on CVBS. Ended up taking the Philips unit back to Currys for a refund. Currently in 2 minds about whether to go for a different sender or switch to Sky+/Multiroom to get the best PQ?

Best of luck with the search. :) Robert Whyte are waiting on the GA6 but didn't have spec details yet.

Cheers

6. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, i've also seen a Humax 26 inch screen in Home Cinema Choice that loooks interesting... ;)