1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about series link

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by fallwood, Jan 8, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got my sky+ today and have noticed something strange. if i set a series link for something thats on every day it only seems to display the next days episode, i.e seinfeld is on paramount comedy every day, i set a series link but it only shows today and tomorrows episode in the planner but it shows other things that are not on for another week or so. Will it only show the first 2 links of a series at a time.Does the series link work properly now as ive read about a lot of problems in the past (i mainly record from sky). Come back tivo all is forgiven (actually im keeping it untill i see if sky+ is any good).

2. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From what I've seen the series link shows the next program only, it then picks up the following program after recording thus maintaining coverage. to put it mildly i'm extremely impressed after enduring 2 years of nthell's poor sound.
    (to be fair their broadband is good
    )

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's rare to get a problem with series link these days. Our Sky+ box even managed to pick up on Neighbours after Christmas after a week's break. You'll only ever see a maximum of 2 entries in the planner for any series link programme.

4. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, thats ok as long as it doesnt miss stuff. Will it just stick to the channel you picked for the series link or will it do as tivo does and search other channels for episodes (if you tell it to). I like things like family guy, futurama etc and they tend to be a bit sparodic as to when they are shown, they generally appear on sky1 or channel 4, with the tivo I just had to set it to record any family guy/futurama it found, do i have to set season links on both sky1 and channel 4.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky+ isn't as "clever" as a Tivo. It uses the information in the EPG to record episodes in a series in that time slot. For example, Neighbours is broadcast at lunchtime, and repeated at around 5:30pm. If you set your Sky+ box to record Neighbours at lunchtime, and series link it, it will only record the lunchtime epidodes, and will ignore the 5:30 ones. What it will do is shift the time, if the broadcaster should change it, but it won't change the channel. If the BBC moved an episode of Eastenders to BBC2 for whatever reason, the Sky+ box may not pick up on it.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The ease of use and flexibilty of the TIVO OS hides how much work is going on in the background, the bulk of the data compiling and manipulation is done by Tribune and individual TIVOs just have to match their preferences to the tagged data they are fed on a daily basis.
    All the systems that create TIVO are patented which is why NDS/SKY had to come up with something which operated on a different principle, it works very well within the limits of the SKY+ hardware but it isn't TIVO:)

7. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks . I suppose once I get all my season links setup I wont notice much difference.