1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Sanyo PLV-30 and iScan Pro...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by einpagu, Jul 18, 2001.

1. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Is there anybody who knows if it's possible to use the PLV-30 with the iScan Pro? I've read a lot of different discussions about this, but now when I really need them, they all seem to have disappeared... :confused:

Please, help me!

Best Regards,

Per-Anders.

2. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Pege
    i recently bought an iscan unit to go with my plv-30, i was very impressed with the results it gave a clearer more defined image with ntsc material, but on pal region 2 material it was exceptional.I have an on-digital box and it's a simple as you can't view it unless it goes through the iscan.
    The only problem at the moment is that when viewing action films the picture can disappear for a split second and all you see is the blue background screen don't entirley know what this problem is but it is annoying.

I noticed recently on the bulletin board that some one who had bought a pioneer 737dvd which they had upgraded from a 717, i too did this my self and have regreted it (could of saved £500) never mind.So if you intend to buy the iscan it might not be a good idea to upgrade for current dvd player for one that outputs progressive scan (that is in my opinion) others may not agree because i've seen a few threads where people have combined the iscan with the skyworth dvd player and got very good results i could not comment on this set up.

regards

richard

3. Stever

Stever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

I am also intending to get the PLV30/iscan combo but I am a bit concerned about this image loss in action sequences. Does it happen on both PAL and NTSC discs and how regularly does it occur (eg. in a film such as Die Hard, will it happen several times in a single action sequence)?

Steve

4. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard!

Thanks for your reply! This is exaclty the problem I've at the moment. The picture is almost perfect :p , but the blue screen appears sometimes... :mad: I've also noticed that the projector changes from 16:9 to 4:3.

It would be nice to know where the problem is? Is it the PLV-30, iScan or maybe the DVD-player? :confused:

Best Regards,

Per-Anders.

5. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve!

I've used my PLV-30/iScan for just one weekend and I noticed the problem almost immediately. It makes the switches at random (from every 10:th second to 15:th minute).

Next weekend I will continue the tests. I've so far just tested region 1 DVD:s, but I will aslo test with region 2.

It's extremly annoying when the aspect ratio is changed from 16:9 to 4:3!!! :mad:

Best Regards,

Per-Anders.

6. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike!

I have "locked" the input to 480p... :rolleyes:

BR, Per-Anders.

7. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Pege
    It doesn't seem to matter what software you use pal or ntsc the results are the same the picture comes and goes especially when there are explosions or bright lights.I believe Gordon calls this "i don't know what i'am connected to mode".

If you try Vga-Vga lead from the iscan to the projector and then put the projector in to computer mode you get a decentish picture which does not jump, but it's not a desirable as progressive ntsc/pal.

I wonder is Alan Roser or Chris Frost from Owl could help us with this issue maybe shed a bit of light on it, It appears that quite a few people have spent a few quid and getting disapointing results.

regards

richard

8. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again!

Well, I have not tested any region 2 DVD:s yet, but I will as soon as possible...

I will also try to switch to a VGA-cable instead of the component-cable. But as you said... It's not a "good" solution. :(

Yes, it would be very nice if somebody with experience in this matter could join this discussion... :)

Best Regards,

Per-Anders.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just bought the sanyo......no iscan yet. I have read about this before, and was under the impression that it was being looked into, but i would like to know what was discovered, if anything, and more importantly, if anything can be done about it????

Adam

10. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest where can I buy an Iscan online from? and how much are they?

Cheers,

11. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i read that the iscan outputs like a computer? maybe the sanyo is trying to auto sync the picture. Does the sanyo have and auto mode you can disable?

Mike

12. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Adam!

Yes, I also thought that it was under investigation... That´s why I started this thread.

I've talked to the swedish Sanyo (Cavena Multimedia) and Silicon Image (Runt Ljud) agency and I hope that they soon will return to me with a solution to this problem. :p

"I´ll be back!" ;)

BR,

Per-Anders.

[ 19-07-2001: Message edited by: PEGE ]

13. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just to let you all know just purchased dracula 2000 on region 1, viewed through the iscan the picture was great untill it got to the part where there was a burst of thunder and lighting which went on for some 30 seconds and to my horror the screen was completley blue through out this scene, to put it bluntley i was jumping up and down it needs sorting.When i put the component lead from the dvd player directly back into the projector this did not happen, some body some where must knows something a bout this.Does this only happen with the plv-30 or does it affect other projectors it would be nice if anyone else can share there views.

regards

richard

14. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect!

"Runt Ljud" (the swedish Silicon Image agency) told me to collect information about this fault!

They have informed Silicon Image about this problem, and they (SI) would like to know how it (random or constant) appears and when (movie title/time/region 1 or 2...).

So I will spend this weekend to collect this kind of information. Do you want to help me? :D

It feels almost as if they know something about this... Hmm... ;)

BR,

Per-Anders.

[ 19-07-2001: Message edited by: PEGE ]

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    It affects other projectors but not to the same degree. It depends on how good any projector is at holding sync to the incoming video signal.

It also happens with other prog scan devices, not just Iscan's. I suspect it's a combination of factors. Both manufacturer's are aware of this bug I believe.

Gordon

16. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon! I didn't know this. I was affraid that this problem was just special for the PLV-30 and iScan combination.

Best Regards, Per-Anders.

17. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Pege

over this weekend i will try and conduct a study with different material and post the results next monday

regards

richard

18. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Super! :)

All results are welcome!
    I will post my own aslo...

BR, Per-Anders.

19. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anybody who have tried with different DVD-players? I was asked to test this...

I'm using a Pioneer DV-737, but I will borrow a Sony DVP-7700 this weekend and test it also.

Please, you could also check if it makes any difference if you disconnect all the other videocables to the iScan (composit/SVHS). Maybe Silicon Image are affraid of some kind of disturbance from other sources... I don't know?!? :confused:

20. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help with the iscan guys!

I don't know what I'd do without you!

21. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well... That's what friends are for... :)

BR, Per-Anders.

[ 20-07-2001: Message edited by: PEGE ]

22. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *****Sarcastic*****

23. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Graham,

If you do a search of this forum for "Iscan" you should find several threads about a GROUP buy that folk were trying to put together as well as a link to at least one UK on-line retailer.

That retaielr had the price wrong. He states it's £700 when it's supposed to be £750. His price was £650. The group buy price was similar. Unfortunately not enough folk managed to confirm so the group purchase is off.

Hope this is some use.

Gordon

24. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou Gordon, cheers mate at least somebodys listening to me!

You're fast becoming a god on these forums don't you know!

HCC are you listening?

You could learn a thing or two?

25. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok... Here is my first report from my "investigation" this weekend.

I used my Pioneer DV-737 connected to the iScan Pro via a component-cable. The iScan is also connected to the PLV-30 via component.

As I can see, the problem always appears when the picture changes from dark to light. At the following movies, chapters and time the error appears:

The Pledge (region 1):

1:1 5:37
    1:3 9:20
    1:3 9:24
    1:3 9:32
    1:3 9:34
    1:25 87:37
    1:29 103:25

V - TV Miniseries (region 1):

Side 1:

1:2 4.51
    1:6 17:44
    1:7 23:21
    1:13 43:00
    1:13 43:40
    1:23 73:46
    1:31 99:09

Side 2:

1:2 3:21
    1:2 3:23
    1:2 3:37
    1:16 52:05
    1:17 57:23
    1:17 57:39
    1:17 57:52
    1:17 58:46
    1:20 64:23
    1:22 71:48
    1:22 72:44
    1:22 73:18
    1:23 73:34
    1:23 75:03
    1:23 75:20
    1:23 75:42

On monday I will continue my discussion with the swedish Sanyo (Cavena Multimedia) and Silicon Image (Runt Ljud) agency. I also will continue the research by testing region 2 software.

It would be nice if somebody could confirm this report...

Have a nice weekend! :)

[ 21-07-2001: Message edited by: PEGE ]

26. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Per: This seems alot compared to how often I have seen this problem. Do you have an AVIA test discs to set contrast on projector and Iscan properly? Try turning down contrast on the Iscan and see if it has any effect.

Gordon

27. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I will try it...

BR, Per-Anders.

28. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I have used the settings that "Hemmabio" (a swedish home theater magazine) recommends. They are rather good... ;)

In the last number of "Hemmabio", the PLV-60 was tested and it didn't work with the iScan Pro?!? :confused: It had the same problem as the PLV-30... ;)

29. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am listening in the background to all of this......it is great to see someone taking the issue up! I would love to assist.....but I have no iscan yet........keep it up though!

Adam

30. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I would not advocate the use of the same settings for brightness, contrast and colour balance as a magazine has achieved during testing. Is their room the same in decor? Is their screen the same? Were they using the same DVD player? and even then the batch difference between units will dictate that if all these were the same you would still have the wrong settings.

I would strongly advise you invest in the AVIA guide to home theatre set up disc. I don't think it will fix this problem buit you will get yourself a better picture.

Gordon