question about replacing speakers?

ibby!

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hey

i currently have a 5.1 system by acoustic solutions. its a fairly good system, but i find the rear channels to be a bit too quiet

if i bought two new satellites, that have more wattage, would the rear then be louder? or will the volume not change?

No, if a different speaker has higher maximum power handling this won't effect the actual volume the speaker, compared to another.

You need a speaker that has higher efficiency. This is the xxdB /1W @ 1M rating.

Alternatively you could replace the amp with one that has channel adjustment for each speaker.

do you know of any high effecient speakers? that are relatively inexpensive?

'Fraid to say the output volume would be the same as the same amp would be driving the rear speakers. You may experience a better sound (depends on the quality of whatever you use) and if the speakers you choose are easier to drive (higher sensitivity) then you may find them a bit louder.
Basically it all comes down to how much power the amp can produce cleanly, without distortion. If you put 100 watt speakers on an amp that only produces say 10 watts, you will not get 100 watts coming out of the speaker. Plus when you try to drive speakers that have a greater power handling than the amp can put into them you run the risk of damaging the speakers and more often than not, the amp itself.
A search about power handling and speaker sensitvity on the forums and google may explain it better

Graham.

i see

do you think it would be a better decision to arrange my setup, so that the rear speakers are closer than the front?

thing is, i like sitting close to my tv ahaha

Some speaker makers are efficient, as they use horns. Checkout JBL and Klipsch. I believe Klipsch do a PC system with horns.

Everyone is giving you good advice, but no one is giving you a systematic solution.

First -

What are the models and brands of all your speakers. With that we can look up the specs and find out what the Sensitivity is. That is the place to start because we may find that Sensitivity is not really the issue.

Second-

Give us a budget and any other limitations you might have, like space limitations. Can we assume your rear satellites are small bookshelf speakers?

With the Sensitivity of your current speakers and a budget for your new speakers, we can probably find a solution.

But, before you go that far, consider this, maybe it is not your speakers but your amp configuration. I'm certainly not knowledgeable in Surround Sound, but I'm under the impression that most Surround Sound amps have several 'play' modes. That is, difference setting to tailor the sound to different needs and preferences. Have you tried these other 'play' modes to see if there is one you like better?

I'm also aware that some Surround Sound amps can calibrate themselves by connecting a microphone and playing some test material. Can you, have you, calibrated your amp?

Also, it could be something as simple as the rear speakers being wired backwards. That could cause weak sound do to phase shift. Check you wiring and make sure it is correct. Yes, I know that's painfully obvious and simple, but even the very best of us still make mistakes.

So, let's start with what you have, then gradually work our way toward what you might need.

Steve/BlueWizard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom