Question about refresh rates (50 or 60hz vs 100hz), and suggestions for which TV I could get

simoncdale

Standard Member
Hi guys,

Firstly, sorry for asking a fairly basic question. I know it must be really annoying to have to constantly answer questions from complete novices.

I currently have a Sony KDL40W5500, which I think first came out around 2009, for around £1000. Was handed down to me by my parents a few years ago when they got a new TV. From what I can tell it has a 100hz refresh rate?

My question is, if I now get a new TV with a refresh rate less than 100hz am I going to notice a difference? Or is technology so much better 10 years on that it doesn't make any difference?

My other issue is my budget isn't very high for a new TV. It was actually my girlfriend who suggested we get a new one, but she doesn't really want to spend more than £400, definitely not £500, and doesn't want a 50" TV as she thinks it'll be too big for our lounge, so it looks like I'm stuck with choosing a 43" set for around £400, maybe £450.

For info, I'm not a gamer. We just use our TV for everyday watching, plus Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. I also like watching sport (mainly football, but also cricket and golf), which is why I was wondering about the refresh rate.

Any help and advice you could give would be really greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Simon

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Being able to show 100 frames a second means the TV is able to use technology called motion interpolation (Sony often lumps it under the Motionflow brand with other motion-related features).

Motion interpolation invents frames between those in the content to approximate a higher quality source, but it doesn't always manage it without visual errors so it's optional - some people like it and some people don't. So you may not even be using it on your current TV.

Also bear in mind that a few years ago the latest misleading marketing habit was to give inflated refresh rates so there's a good chance it's not 100hz anyway.

There are also several other aspects and technologies that go into improving motion quality such as response time and backlight strobing, so being able to run motion interpolation on a 50fps broadcast isn't a guarantee of top quality.

What are you unhappy with on your current TV to make you want to replace it? It seems a bit unusual to replace a TV with a budget model of a similar size.

simoncdale

Standard Member
Being able to show 100 frames a second means the TV is able to use technology called motion interpolation (Sony often lumps it under the Motionflow brand with other motion-related features).

Motion interpolation invents frames between those in the content to approximate a higher quality source, but it doesn't always manage it without visual errors so it's optional - some people like it and some people don't. So you may not even be using it on your current TV.

Also bear in mind that a few years ago the latest misleading marketing habit was to give inflated refresh rates so there's a good chance it's not 100hz anyway.

There are also several other aspects and technologies that go into improving motion quality such as response time and backlight strobing, so being able to run motion interpolation on a 50fps broadcast isn't a guarantee of top quality.

What are you unhappy with on your current TV to make you want to replace it? It seems a bit unusual to replace a TV with a budget model of a similar size.
Thanks for your reply. And good question.

The TV is 10 years old now and starting to show its age. It's also really rather big and clunky as the bezel is massive. Completely understand what you're saying though. I might wait a few weeks and see if there are any price reductions before making my mind up.

Longy00000

. It was actually my girlfriend who suggested we get a new one, but she doesn't really want to spend more than £400, definitely not £500, and doesn't want a 50" TV as she thinks it'll be too big for our lounge, so it looks like I'm stuck with choosing a 43" set for around £400, maybe £4
You need a new girlfriend mate. Double your budget and buy a 50 inch plus. Only kidding I had to replace 2 bathrooms before I could get permission for a new set!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom