Question about Receiver???

P

phetttt

My Toshiba home cinema system has just died - see 'all in one' forum,
but the nice people at Costco have given me a refund (a year after I bought it - how's that for service!).

So I need a new system...hence my question.

I have an old Sherwood AV Receiver (RD-6106R) which can use Dolby Digital and DTS, but if I bought a Samsung DVD HD949 DVD Player would I be able to use DVD-Audio and SACD discs with the Receiver?

Plus I want to get some decent small surround sound speakers also for less than £200.

Cheers for any replies!!

Don't know the features of those models but if the player supports DVD-A & SACD provided the receiver has 5.1 analogue inputs it would just be a matter of using the analogue outputs from DVD to receiver for DVD-A & SACD.

You could still use a coax or toslink connection from DVD to receiver for your DD & DTS movie playback connection & then the receiver would decode them.

To add to Vonhosen's comments, in order to truly appreciate the SACD or DVD-A format, the receiver or amplifier should have a 'pure analogue direct' mode so that the analogue signal from the SACD/DVD-A player will bypass any processing or decoding and all unnecessary circuitry in the amp. If your Sherwood receiver is unable to provide this 'analogue direct' mode, then it may not be worthwhile to upgrade to SACD/DVD-A.

Regards,
reservoir51

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom