1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Receiver???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by phetttt, Nov 6, 2004.

1. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Toshiba home cinema system has just died - see 'all in one' forum,
    but the nice people at Costco have given me a refund (a year after I bought it - how's that for service!).

So I need a new system...hence my question.

I have an old Sherwood AV Receiver (RD-6106R) which can use Dolby Digital and DTS, but if I bought a Samsung DVD HD949 DVD Player would I be able to use DVD-Audio and SACD discs with the Receiver?

Plus I want to get some decent small surround sound speakers also for less than £200.

Cheers for any replies!!

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't know the features of those models but if the player supports DVD-A & SACD provided the receiver has 5.1 analogue inputs it would just be a matter of using the analogue outputs from DVD to receiver for DVD-A & SACD.

You could still use a coax or toslink connection from DVD to receiver for your DD & DTS movie playback connection & then the receiver would decode them.

3. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To add to Vonhosen's comments, in order to truly appreciate the SACD or DVD-A format, the receiver or amplifier should have a 'pure analogue direct' mode so that the analogue signal from the SACD/DVD-A player will bypass any processing or decoding and all unnecessary circuitry in the amp. If your Sherwood receiver is unable to provide this 'analogue direct' mode, then it may not be worthwhile to upgrade to SACD/DVD-A.

Regards,
    reservoir51

4. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for enlightening me on this subject

cheers

5. garyroboff

garyroboff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember correctly the RD-6106 has both a six channel (5.1) direct input and a Tone/Direct switch that bypasses tone control circuitry, etc. The instruction manual is avialable online at: http://www.sherwoodamerica.com/pdf/RD-6106.pdf

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85