question about rear surround speaker placement

bobby_badger

Hi

I have a Sonos Beam 2 (gen 2) soundbar and I'm considering getting a pair of either Sonos One SLs or Sonos Ikea Bookshelf speakers to act as rear surround speakers. The problem is due to the room (and also the Mrs) the speakers would have to be on the floor behind us - either side of the couch against the wall (or the recommended inch or so away from wall). I know the optimal position is for them to be at ear level and a few feet back but that is just not an option.

So, the question is - with the restriction above, is it worth doing? A Richer Sounds guy I spoke to said I was only going to be disappointed with the result. Does anyone have experience of this sort of configuration? Do you feel it's worth it?

thanks

mike7

Distinguished Member
I think the RS guy is right. Both these speakers are rather small and not intended to stand on the floor. I'm looking to upgrade my similar system and have had to consider this. Don't waste your money on an inevitable disappointment. If you wall mount unfortunately you have the power leads to deal with.

bobby_badger

Just replying to the group for posterity. I did buy two One SLs to use as surrounds. I have to say I'm impressed. I know it's not as good as it could be but the sound is better all round. I had the money and decided to invest it in the speakers when I had it. I hope over time we will rearrange the room and I can position the speakers better. The Playstation actually shows the most noticeable surround benefits but otherwise the overall sound is better for having the two surrounds.

Bobisared

Novice Member
Just replying to the group for posterity. I did buy two One SLs to use as surrounds. I have to say I'm impressed. I know it's not as good as it could be but the sound is better all round. I had the money and decided to invest it in the speakers when I had it. I hope over time we will rearrange the room and I can position the speakers better. The Playstation actually shows the most noticeable surround benefits but otherwise the overall sound is better for having the two surrounds.
I have had the beam gen 2 for a month now. I am in a similar situation to yourself regards surrounds. Did you position your One SLs on the floor and if so was this ok? Or did you use stands/ wall mount in the end? Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom