Question about Popcorn C-200

Jon Read

I am thinking about buying this streamer but as I have a PS3 I need extra persuading before shelling £300. If you know the answers to these questions, great :)

1. I love the PS3 for media files but the lack of MKV and ISO support lets it down (although I know this can be done via PS3 Media Server, but it is not the same). Does the PH come with a thumbnail view of every 15, 30, 60 seconds or so when you are wanting to skip through a video file ? As I like that PS3 feature.

2. Is there anywhere that sells it in the UK for cheaper than £299 ? As I notice it is $299 dollars, which is about £205. So perhaps some UK based importers have it cheaper ?

3. What size HDD does it support up to ?

4. Can you view all the media files on your PC or do you need to share specific folders ? How quick is it at file browsing ?

5. Do any other players, for this price, offer the same features or more ?

6. Is the remote as good as the PS3 RF remote ? Sorry to keep comparing but as I use the PS3 all the time right now, I have to make sure it is equal or better for certain things. Obviously file support is much better on PH. Not sure why Sony doesn't have ISO or MKV support.

Thanks all !!

MarkE19

I'm not a C-200 owner, but I'll answer what I can.
2. Is there anywhere that sells it in the UK for cheaper than £299 ? As I notice it is $299 dollars, which is about £205. So perhaps some UK based importers have it cheaper ?
DigitalEra for £289 but out of stock.
3. What size HDD does it support up to ?
3.5" HDD up to 2Tb capacity AFAIK
4. Can you view all the media files on your PC or do you need to share specific folders ? How quick is it at file browsing ?
You need to setup sharing of individual folders on the PC. If you set a high level folder to shared then all sub folders should also be shared. Once the shares are set you should be able to see all the media stored on the PC. You could just share a full HDD if required.
5. Do any other players, for this price, offer the same features or more ?
HDI Dune BD Prime 3.0 is much the same as the C-200 but includes a BluRay drive. Or for about £50 less there is the Smart B1 or without a BD drive the Smart D1 or Smart H1 with additional extension modules available.

Mark.

Jon Read

Thanks ! Wow, I like the look of the Smart H1, for £100 less. What do I lose from going for that over the Popcorn Hour C-200 ? Is the interface and support the same ?

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
they wont be the same interface but they'll be similar. there is a youtube vid of the nmt interface on our product page which will give an idea of what nmj looks like (Popcorn Hour C-200 - Detailed item view - Custom built Home Theatre PCs from my-HTPC). I've not found a similar Dune one apart from at shows and in German!

If you dont need the BD drive in the C-200 or Dune Prime and are happy with the likes of the Smart series then the popcorn also has a smaller sibling - the A-210 which is also £100 cheaper than the C-200

MarkE19

The H1 doesn't house a BluRay drive, but you can buy an expansion module with it if required at a later date. It also doesn't have a display and that can't be added - if you want the display you need to buy the D1.
The C-200 and the Smart players all use basically the same hardware inside their boxes but each maker will have their own firmware that will do much the same but have it's own look. There are YouTube videos of the menus of the Dune, but many of them are not in English - but it will at least let you see what they are like. there are also a couple of shots of the Prime menu (same look for all Dune players) Here, but there is a new firmware that has a new look to the menus coming out soon (a Beta download can be loaded if you want it now) and can get a look at some screen shots over at MPC Club - New Face, New firmware for DUne? - MPC Club Community Board

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom