Question about playing 5.1 through a 6.1 or 7.1 system.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by grim_d, Dec 24, 2006.

1. grim_d

grim_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im looking at buying an integrated av receiver/amp for surround sound, now i only want the 5.1 (mainly for my xbox360) but most of the ones i look at are 6.1 or 7.1, the only 5.1 i could find in my budget (about £200) is the yamaha rx-v359 which i hear isnt all that great. But there is a denon i have my eye on.

now my real question is, can I, and will it sound right to play 5.1 through a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver?

Will it need to support dolby digital as opposed to dolby digital EX.

X360 only outputs 5.1, thus that's all i need.

thanks for helping a noob out.

2. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    hi
    5.1 will play fine through a 6.1 or 7.1 amp, there are very few sources on DVD with 6.1 in EX or DTS-ES and even these are fully compatible with 5.1.
    I can recommend, if you are in the market for an amp,the Sony STR-DA1200ES, I just upgraded to one and it is fab.
    Hope this helps.

3. grim_d

grim_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh right i was under the impression that dolby digital EX was 6.1 whereas dolby digital was just 5.1, but as long as they play it fine it's all good.

Its just the amp i was looking at had dolby digital EX listed but not the other.

this is the one i have my eye ondenon avr1507

4. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    hi
    the Denon amp ypu were looking at will decode 5.1 & 6.1EX no problem.

5. welshtommo

welshtommo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    The figures 6 and 7 in 6.1 and 7.1 just mean that the amp is capable of powering 6 or 7 satellite speakers. You obviously don't have to use them all. You just connect up your 5 satellites. It merely caters for people who have those extra speakers and wish to use them to produce a wider soundfield.
    As wilfy points out, most movies are recorded in 5.1 or DTS anyway, using the five main channels, together with low frequency effects through your sub. The extra channels are produced by the amp, which just sends duplicate rear effects to the 6th and/or 7th speaker if you have them.

IMO, the Denon is an excellent amp for the money by the way.