Question about Pioneer model

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by trash-online, Aug 29, 2006.

1. trash-online

trash-online

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, nice to be here!

I am a Greek user that has no luck in finding a good, reliable and NTSC-friendly recorder. I simply need a DVD recorder that will LAST and will be able to record both PAL and NTSC signal. I tried a couple of Philips models and both stopped working after like 7 recordings- no kidding! Here in Greece it is kind of hard to find a recorder that will also be able to record NTSC, I need one because I have quite a few NTSC VHS in my movie collection. However I wouldn't pay more than $450. I visited a local online electronics store which carries a couple of Pioneer models that look promising. The problem is I am calling their customer service and they cannot confirm if these machines can record NTSC or not. Anyone here could help?

http://www.megamarket.gr/pioneerdvr...c_subcat=1&keywords=pioneer&categories_id=215

http://www.megamarket.gr/pioneerdvr...c_subcat=1&keywords=pioneer&categories_id=215

Above are the links to the pages of my local online store. I'm sure nobody here speaks Greek :) but you may recognize these Pioneer machines and give me some more technical details! Thanks in advance!

2. ChainsawDude

ChainsawDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have a DVR-440HX (UK spec) and have sucessfully dubbed NTSC VHS tapes to DVD.

HTH

3. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I couldn't read them links they were all Greek to me :D

4. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the problem is not the video content, but the frame frequency!! (50 or 60 Hz ) - there are only a few AFAIK...

5. trash-online

trash-online

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok here is a link from the european pioneer site. it has PAL and NTSC playback but it mentions nothing about NTSC recording.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive...3H-K/index.html

I tried contacting pioneer dealers, even the Italian one and nobody can say for sure. And the retailers here refuse to do a simple test with a new machine. Anybody here knows anything?

6. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The only DVD recorders that will record from PAL and NTSC are probably like the equivalent of the old MULTI-STANDARD video recorders, these were nearly 4 times the cost of a normal PAL video recorder about 5 years ago.
    This thread might be of interest about conversion etc.
    http://www.threedoubleyou.com/converters.htm

Regards
    knotpc

7. ChainsawDude

ChainsawDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Very sorry, this information is wrong.:lesson:

I have a 440 and it records both PAL and NTSC input source (as I said earlier). Incidentally, the resulting DVD is PAL i.e. the 440 must convert NTSC to PAL I suppose, but there is no question about the fact that you can dub your NTSC tapes to DVD.
    It can also do this on playback, i.e. play an NTSC DVD and output a PAL signal.

The manual on p127 says that an input of PAL, NTSC or SECAM is supported.

I like to think so.

8. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The 440 does not convert.
    If you record from a true NTSC scource it will record NTSC.
    If you record from a PAL scource it will record PAL.
    It cannot convert one to another it doesn't have enough processing power to do that.
    It will play back NTSC or PAL, but not on the same media.
    When recording from NTSC it only works on true NTSC not the Pseudo output on most DVD and Tape players with NTSC playback as this is an inferior conversion for display only not suitable for recording.

Regards
    knotpc

9. ChainsawDude

ChainsawDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Obviously yours works differently to mine :confused:

Mine will record an NTSC input (from an NTSC VHS tape) and record a DVD (which is PAL). To be honest, I am not suprised because it says it does in the manual.
    This is not theoretical as I have done a few tapes now.

I am interested so please say what happens when you try?

Update:
    I found out later that the video outputs PAL60 and not NTSC, but I have finished up with a 25fps PAL DVD which seems fine.

10. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'ts 'orrible.
    You sure your resultant DVD is PAL?

Where does it say in the manual, I can only see it records PAL or NTSC not converting one to the other, and where on the menus is the choice to save as NTSC or PAL?

Regards
    knotpc

11. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have recorded onto my Pioneer 630 HDD a NTSC signal. When I edited and burnt it onto a dvd the result was a NTSC disc. I know this because when I played back the finalised disc on a different dvd player the little NTSC icon came up on the display.

12. ChainsawDude

ChainsawDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    s'not 'orrible, it is cool. It means one can dub ones NTSC tapes to DVD.
    'onest guv.

Yep, analysed on PC with TDA.

There quite a bit on p134. Under 'Line Input' says supports pal ntsc and secam. Also on right column you see the settings for playing back NTSC discs on a PAL only TV. This I sight as evidence of the ability to convert NTSC to PAL.

Further evidence that Pioneer 440 can record NTSC, though not absolutely same as my experience.

13. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

ChainsawDude,
    Most DVD recorders and players will "convert" NTSC to PAL60 to watch on TV.
    This is not a conversion of NTSC to PAL for recording purposes, it doesn't work like that.
    Even the Pioneer 530 international DVD Recorder for use anywhere in the world does not convert, you still have use a converter with it and to get good results you still have to spend a lot of money.
    Like I said as far as I know the Pioneer 440 will output PAL,NTSC PAL 60 etc. fine.
    You can record from PAL or NTSC fine, but it doesn't do a conversion, it copies into the same, what goes in comes out.
    The fact that your Pioneer is converting NTSC into PAL 60 doesn't mean your DVD is PAL, just the Pioneer has enabled you to watch it by outputting PAL 60 for your PAL only TV.
    I think I'm going to need some help here from some of the other guys with Pioneer DVD recorders....................prompt.

Regards
    knotpc

14. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well, as I stated above, my Pioneer will allow me to record a NTSC signal but it does not covert it, it records in NTSC and then it allows me to make a copy still in the NTSC format. If it does do a conversion, I certainly have not found out how to do it.

15. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thank you Anna the dub :smashin:
    I thought I would start a new thread as we have gone a little off Trash-online's thread.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3397971#post3397971
    My apologies to Trash-online
    Regards
    knotpc

16. ChainsawDude

ChainsawDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Original question
    Answer: Yes it can record NTSC.
    I hope you have not been put off buying a 440 by any postings saying it can't record NTSC, as it really is a good machine (and it can, I have done it).

If you are still not convinced then you can download the manual from the Pioneer's support web site and check these references:
    p52 says that it can record PAL NTSC & SECAM
    p127 same
    p142 says that NTSC is supported from external input

As an aside, I have seen on the web, that there is a legal requirement that the manufacturers have to adhere to, which prevents them from advertising recorders as having built in NTSC/PAL conversion facilities. Don't know how true that is.

Hope you feel that you have been helped and please let us know how you get on?

17. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I hope you mean "convert" or I'll be getting real doubts about my machine :D

Regards
    knotpc