question about old Panasonic DVD recorder

mmorse

Novice Member
Reaction score
hi, new to the forum. I have a noobie question. I have an old Panasonic dmr ES20 DVD recorder that has sat on the shelf for years. for all the years I've had it, I've only made about 30 recordings with it. just never got into making a lot of recordings. lately I've been using it again to record some stuff for posterity off my DVR. I learned from this forum to avoid DVD+R discs and only use DVD-R discs. I do have a number of DVD+r discs the panny recorded but can't play back. other DVD players seem to have no issue playing them though. I finalize them to give to friends or keep and play on my Panasonic blue-Ray player. I'm almost out of media. do I have to use only Panasonic media or can it be any manufacturer as long as it is DVD-R? I can find a lot of verbatim and maxell brand but no Panasonic. I know the recorder is finicky about what media it is fed. any advice is appreciated. thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

No - The disks do not have to be Panasonic. Theoretically any brand will do, but the DVD blank market is awash with poor quality blanks, so you need to be careful when choosing.

The actual brand is less important than the factory they were made in.
The most reliable discs are made in the Taiyo Yuden factory in Japan.
They are sold under various brands including Taiyo Yuden itself, and some selected verbatim.
All JVC branded discs are made there and are recommended.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom