Question about NTSC and PAL

E

Eddie '92

I don't really know much about different DVD territories and I need some advise.

I live in the UK and I everything I own was bought in the UK such as my PS3, Mac Mini, Windows PC and standard Philips DVD player. I'm wanting to import an NTSC DVD which is region free from the US and I'm wondering if there is any way it will play on any of my equipment.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing there that is at question, is the thing you ahven't mentioned............your TV.

E

Eddie '92

I own a 32" Toshiba CRT and a 26" Sony Bravia LCD. Anyway point is all my equipment is bought in the UK, if I try to import a NTSC DVD will it play?

emthree

I own a 32" Toshiba CRT and a 26" Sony Bravia LCD. Anyway point is all my equipment is bought in the UK, if I try to import a NTSC DVD will it play?

You need a region free dvd player (I think your DVD player is, or can be made, region free, by a simple remote hack) and a TV that supports NTSC display. I think the Sony does that, although you will have to change it manually to NTSC or Auto. Most of my DVDs are Region1 but all my gear is bought in the UK; I have no problem.

Bolander

You need a region free dvd player (I think your DVD player is, or can be made, region free, by a simple remote hack) and a TV that supports NTSC display. I think the Sony does that, although you will have to change it manually to NTSC or Auto. Most of my DVDs are Region1 but all my gear is bought in the UK; I have no problem.

As far as I know all Region 2 players support NTSC (because Japan is Region 2 but uses NTSC). A region free disc, which Eddie 92 had in mind, should therefore play even on an unmodified player.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
As I said, the issue is, will the TV reproduce NTSC - which is why I asked about it. And, they both probably will.

Bobdk

Hi Eddie'92,

Don't forget that the US is 110V. You had better to check if the player is able to accept 220V.

Bob

E

Eddie '92

Thanks for all the help so far, here's some more information:

I own a Sony Bravia 26U2000:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL26U2000-Widescreen-Freeview-Granite/dp/B000HBLT9S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/202-7011354-3151826?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188330556&sr=8-3

The Sony is connected to the PS3 which I'm assuming is region free, correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't get hold of the model number of the Toshiba however it is around 3 or 4 years old, 32" widescreen (flat), silver. That is connected to the Philips DVD player (I shall get the model numbers to you later).

There is no mention of NTSC or PAL modes on the TV settings and I'm not willing to unnofically mod any of my equipment.

As I said the american DVD I'm after is region free, any more help is appreciated.

dan1979

The Sony definitely will and my Toshiba CRT of about 8 years ago had no trouble with NTSC either.

As long as your DVD player can doesn't have region protection it will be fine.

emthree

Thanks for all the help so far, here's some more information:

I own a Sony Bravia 26U2000:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL26U2000-Widescreen-Freeview-Granite/dp/B000HBLT9S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/202-7011354-3151826?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188330556&sr=8-3

The Sony is connected to the PS3 which I'm assuming is region free, correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't get hold of the model number of the Toshiba however it is around 3 or 4 years old, 32" widescreen (flat), silver. That is connected to the Philips DVD player (I shall get the model numbers to you later).

There is no mention of NTSC or PAL modes on the TV settings and I'm not willing to unnofically mod any of my equipment.

As I said the american DVD I'm after is region free, any more help is appreciated.

PS3 is not region free for SD DVDs (or for Blu Ray Discs for that matter) but if the DVD is region free, this shouldn't be an issue, either with PS3 or the Philips DVD player. Your Sony will certainly play it and Toshiba most likely will too.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
If the DVD you're buying is coded for regions including "2" (or, "all") then you do not need to concern yourself about region coding in your players at all. Only their ability to play, and the TV's ability to reproduce, NTSC video. Which has nothing whatsoever to do with regional coding.

And, as we've already said, the probability is high verging on certainty that the TVs you describe will reproduce NTSC one way or another. So go ahead and buy your disc.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom