Question about my setup

If you click on the link I posted in post #21, it will take you to the page of the online manual. Scroll down a little & you'll see "setting the use of ARC" click this...

The ARC "on/off" option in the AVR is in:
Setup➡️HDMI➡️ARC
Sorry yeah I was trying to do this all with my phone so I had to grab the laptop lol, yeah I saw that in the manual, I was just trying to figure out how to pull up the setting on the AVR. I just got this AVR and the one i had before was over 10 years old so I am still figuring this one out lol, just got it yesterday and set it up today.

Sorry yeah I was trying to do this all with my phone so I had to grab the laptop lol, yeah I saw that in the manual, I was just trying to figure out how to pull up the setting on the AVR. I just got this AVR and the one i had before was over 10 years old so I am still figuring this one out lol, just got it yesterday and set it up today.
No worries. Once ARC is turned on in the AVR, you should get the sound from the tv & it's apps through the AVR.

It's also worth checking that both the TV & AVR have the latest firmware installed. I think the Yamaha needs to have the latest firmware to update ARC to eARC for example.

If you click on the link I posted in post #21, it will take you to the page of the online manual. Scroll down a little & you'll see "setting the use of ARC" click this...

The ARC "on/off" option in the AVR is in:
Setup➡️HDMI➡️ARC
You da man Jester! Thank you so much dude, this was driving me crazy, so when I get my new tv in next week that has eARC, this LG I have now only supports up to ARC, but I will set it up the same way. I wanted to be able to use the TV apps and have everything coming through the surround sound. Mission accomplished. Thanks so much for the help!

No worries. Once ARC is turned on in the AVR, you should get the sound from the tv & it's apps through the AVR.

It's also worth checking that both the TV & AVR have the latest firmware installed. I think the Yamaha needs to have the latest firmware to update ARC to eARC for example.
How do I go about updating it?

You da man Jester! Thank you so much dude, this was driving me crazy, so when I get my new tv in next week that has eARC, this LG I have now only supports up to ARC, but I will set it up the same way. I wanted to be able to use the TV apps and have everything coming through the surround sound. Mission accomplished. Thanks so much for the help!
You're very welcome. Yes connect everything in the same way you have now when you get your new eARC capable TV.

How do I go about updating it?
On the AVR go into the main setup menu. Then "Advanced Setup", then "Update"...
You need to make sure the AVR is connected to the Internet before doing this.

Oh I figured that lol I didnt know it could connect to the internet. I am guessing that is what this stuff is for?

Attachments

• 0326211758.jpg
    0326211758.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 40
I could have sworn that this AVR had an ethernet cable but it does not nor is it wifi so I am assuming im gonna need to attach the firmware update to the AVR via the USB port and flash drive on the front?

Oh I figured that lol I didnt know it could connect to the internet. I am guessing that is what this stuff is for?
Nope that's just a rubbish indoor antenna for fm reception...

I could have sworn that this AVR had an ethernet cable but it does not nor is it wifi so I am assuming im gonna need to attach the firmware update to the AVR via the USB port and flash drive on the front?
Yep I just figured that out. You'll need to download the firmware update (if it needs it) to a USB flash drive (using a PC) then update the AVR via the USB flash drive.

Here's the full instructions to first check what firmware is currently installed and a link to the latest firmware if needed. Plus instructions on how to update.

Your model is the V385 isn't it? The BL bit doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Yep I just figured that out. You'll need to download the firmware update (if it needs it) to a USB flash drive (using a PC) then update the AVR via the USB flash drive.

Here's the full instructions to first check what firmware is currently installed and a link to the latest firmware if needed. Plus instructions on how to update.

Your model is the V385 isn't it? The BL bit doesn't matter.

I've just seen you're from the US. The link above is for Europe. DON'T use it. I'll find the correct one!

Correct firmware link:

Yeah it is the V385, and yeah the L version is just the bestbuy version lol

Yeah it is the V385, and yeah the L version is just the bestbuy version lol
See my post #35. I linked to the European firmware. The US models use a different firmware!

See my post #35. I linked to the European firmware. The US models use a different firmware!
I got the USA version, I realized my flash drive was not formatted to fat32 which is why the AVR was not reading the firmware update so I had to get a different one lol

I got the USA version, I realized my flash drive was not formatted to fat32 which is why the AVR was not reading the firmware update so I had to get a different one lol
Let me know how the update goes 👍🏼👌

So i cant get it to work with the fat32 looks like youtube video comments say use a flash drive with fat 16 but I dont have any that small I dont think lol

So Im dumb lol, its already on version 1.08

Let me know how the update goes 👍🏼👌
All good now, I was already on latest firmware, I completely forgot to check the advanced settings I just assumed it was not updated HAHA So its all good now and audio is working as well as video

So Im dumb lol, its already on version 1.08
😂😂😂

It does say to check the current Firmware version prior to update. Ah well least you know it's eARC ready.

For future ref it states you can use a flash drive formatted as fat32. You also need to make sure you unzip the compressed downloaded file and place only the firmware file itself on the empty formatted flash drive.

Last edited:
All good now, I was already on latest firmware, I completely forgot to check the advanced settings I just assumed it was not updated HAHA So its all good now and audio is working as well as video
Pleased I could help buddy! Now sit back and enjoy your new AVR

😂😂😂

It does say to check the current Firmware version prior to update. Ah well least you know it's eARC ready.

For future ref it states you can use a flash drive formatted as fat32. You also need to make sure you unzip the compressed downloaded file and place only the firmware file itself on the empty formatted flash drive.
Yeah that makes sense, I hadnt reformatted it lol

Yeah that makes sense, I hadnt reformatted it lol
That would be why it didn't work and wouldn't have if you'd of needed to update it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom