Question about my setup

Manjaro

Novice Member
So I have had the same home theatre system for years now and wanted to upgrade. I have a 5.1 channel Klipsch system that still sounds great for me and an old Yamaha AVR. I just upgraded the Yamaha to the RX-V385BL for the 4k passthrough. I didn't know what ARC was until 2 days ago and my tv has the HDMI port for it, unfortunately my old avr didn't so I was forced to use fiber optical toslink cable anyway, which I have been using for years now..... I now understand that I don't need to use the optical cable with ARC but upon realizing this, I realized also that my AVR doesnt have ARC input so I got a new AVR yesterday, The RX-V385BL and I already had a new TV on the way. Also I have an xbox one x that I use for 4k video and gaming that I want to keep with the best picture and audio quality I can get. Do I use the AVR as the switch and plug the xbox into the AVR and use the eARC on the new tv to connect the AVR to the tv? Or do I plug the xbox into the tv and then the tv into the AVR using the eARC.

So I wanted some advice on how to properly set up this system to get the best out of it I can. Like What do I need to plug into what piece of equipment for ease of use and best setup

My new setup is:
TV- Vizio P65Q9-H1
AVR- Yamaha P65Q9-H1
Xbox one X
Klipsch 5.1 surround sound system
Oh and I got 2 ocean 48 audioquest HDMI cables that are eARC level 1 and can transfer 8k and 10k so I knew I would be covered with those 2 cables.

So for recap, I have TV AVR and xbox that I want to connect and be able to have everything coming out of the surround sound

Oh and PS I do want the tv apps like Netflix and prime to come out of the surround sound too when not using the xbox but just the tv apps.

Thanks for any help and input.

Jester1066

Why not just try it both ways? If it were me I'd probably plug the X box directly to the TV and the TV into eARC on the AVR.

gibbsy

Oh and PS I do want the tv apps like Netflix and prime to come out of the surround sound too when not using the xbox but just the tv apps.
I would connect the XBox directly to the AV amp. That will make audio sync easier to achieve. A fly in the ointment may be the 2.1 HDMI settings affecting faming with 120hz. The workaround for that would be a connection to the TV and audio return via eARC which will give you full HD audio, providing your TV is also eARC capable.

If the TV is not eARC capable then ARC will only pass SD audio in the form of Dolby Digital Plus (as used by Prime and Netflix) or Dolby Digital from most TV broadcasts. An optical connection will be limited to Dolby Digital.

The pivotal connection is going to be the TV depending on whether it is eARC or basic ARC.

Jester1066

A fly in the ointment may be the 2.1 HDMI settings affecting faming with 120hz. The workaround for that would be a connection to the TV and audio return via eARC which will give you full HD audio, providing your TV is also eARC capable.
Cheers @gibbsy This is why I said X box direct to TV. I forgot to check If the TV was eArc capable, which as you say is needed to get full HD audio with this method! 🤭🤪

Without potential said "fly". I'd always route everything through the AVR. As you say makes audio sync easier.

gibbsy

Cheers @gibbsy This is why I said X box direct to TV. I forgot to check If the TV was eArc capable, which as you say is needed to get full HD audio with this method! 🤭🤪

Without potential said "fly". I'd always route everything through the AVR. As you say makes audio sync easier.
My Panasonic OLED doesn't have eARC and the ARC connection between that and my Denon AV amp isn't stable and I've long given up. So TV is connected by optical. Not missing too much with audio in that respect and I use the Apps on my SkyQ for Atmos from Prime.

Everything else uses HDMI into the Denon.

Jester1066

My Panasonic OLED doesn't have eARC and the ARC connection between that and my Denon AV amp isn't stable and I've long given up. So TV is connected by optical. Not missing too much with audio in that respect and I use the Apps on my SkyQ for Atmos from Prime.

Everything else uses HDMI into the Denon.
Yep I had to do the same setup with my old Samsung (non 4k) & 4500H. Audio from TV (Freeview broadcasts) was via optical. as ARC was very flaky. Everything else (cable, Blu-ray etc) was straight into the Denon via HDMI.

I only used the TV's built in freeview tuner if my virginmedia TV service went down!

Manjaro

Novice Member
Thanks for the help. The TV is eARC so I can go full HD audio. So I'm seeing that connecting the Xbox to the TV and then the TV to the avr via the eARC connection would be best. I guess plugging everything into the avr isn't a good idea as it won't give the best image possible even though it's 4k avr?

Manjaro

Novice Member
A fly in the ointment may be the 2.1 HDMI settings affecting faming with 120hz. The workaround for that would be a connection to the TV and audio return via eARC which will give you full HD audio, providing your TV is also eARC capable.
The TV I currently have is just ARC but the new vizio that is coming in is eARC capable, so with the new tv in mind, I am not understanding this statement lol sorry. Are you saying the AVR wont be able to produce the 4k 120hz image by going into the AVR with the xbox so it would be best to run it through the tv and return with eARC?

gibbsy

Thanks for the help. The TV is eARC so I can go full HD audio. So I'm seeing that connecting the Xbox to the TV and then the TV to the avr via the eARC connection would be best. I guess plugging everything into the avr isn't a good idea as it won't give the best image possible even though it's 4k avr?
It should not effect the video quality. Certainly doesn't when passing through my Denon AV amp. As long as all video correction or upscaling is turned off in the AV amp then there should be no difference, at least not enough to notice, when passed through.

gibbsy

The TV I currently have is just ARC but the new vizio that is coming in is eARC capable, so with the new tv in mind, I am not understanding this statement lol sorry. Are you saying the AVR wont be able to produce the 4k 120hz image by going into the AVR with the xbox so it would be best to run it through the tv and return with eARC?
There is a problem with HDMI 2.1 and 120hz needed for some of the new game players. I believe it effects the new XBox. The recommendation is to connect the new generation of game consoles directly to the 4K 2.1 HDMI TVs and use eARC for the audio.

I'm not a gamer so it's not going to effect me, not that I have a HDMI 2.1 display, so I've not really delved into it too much.

Manjaro

Novice Member
There is a problem with HDMI 2.1 and 120hz needed for some of the new game players. I believe it effects the new XBox. The recommendation is to connect the new generation of game consoles directly to the 4K 2.1 HDMI TVs and use eARC for the audio.

I'm not a gamer so it's not going to effect me, not that I have a HDMI 2.1 display, so I've not really delved into it too much.

Thanks for the help! So yeah I gotcha on the new generation, I don't have the series x yet but I have the one x so I'll just plug everything through the AV. That's what I used to do so I'll just keep doing that. Thanks again.

Manjaro

Novice Member
It should not effect the video quality. Certainly doesn't when passing through my Denon AV amp. As long as all video correction or upscaling is turned off in the AV amp then there should be no difference, at least not enough to notice, when passed through.
Okay so I'll plug the Xbox to the AV and then the TV to the AV with eARC return to the AV correct?

Jester1066

Okay so I'll plug the Xbox to the AV and then the TV to the AV with eARC return to the AV correct?
Correct.

If you do experience the HDMI 2.1 issues @gibbsy raised, then just plug the Xbox directly into the TV instead. Then use another HDMI cable to run from TV eARC to AV.

Manjaro

Novice Member
Correct.

If you do experience the HDMI 2.1 issues @gibbsy raised, then just plug the Xbox directly into the TV instead. Then use another HDMI cable to run from TV eARC to AV.
Okay so just for my mindset lol I'll plug the Xbox to the hdmi 1 port on the avr and then the eARC from the TV to the avr and then that should be good?

Jester1066

Okay so just for my mindset lol I'll plug the Xbox to the hdmi 1 port on the avr and then the eARC from the TV to the avr and then that should be good?
Setup like this:

Xbox ➡️ HDMI Port 1 (on AVR)
TV eARC ➡️ HDMI Out (on AVR)

If you experience the HDMI 2.1 issue when connected as above, then try this way:

Xbox ➡️ TV HDMI Port (any but eARC)
TV eARC ➡️ HDMI Out (on AVR)

Last edited:

Manjaro

Novice Member
I'm not getting any image on the TV when I have the Xbox in the hdmi 1 port on the avr and the TV and avr connected via arc. I have the TV on the arc input as well

Jester1066

I'm not getting any image on the TV when I have the Xbox in the hdmi 1 port on the avr and the TV and avr connected via arc. I have the TV on the arc input as well
I assume you've selected the HDMI 1 input on the AVR?

Try the second connection method listed in post #16

Manjaro

Novice Member
So I had no picture with the Xbox to the avr but I had audio. Now I tried plugging the Xbox to the TV and I have picture but no audio and I have the TV settings to use arc

Jester1066

So I had no picture with the Xbox to the avr but I had audio. Now I tried plugging the Xbox to the TV and I have picture but no audio and I have the TV settings to use arc
Have you updated the Yamaha to the latest firmware. You may also need to enable ARC in both the AVR & TV's settings.... I'm just checking the manual for your AVR

Jester1066

Found why connection method 1 didn't work originally. You need to turn ARC on in the AVR settings:

Manjaro

Novice Member
I assume you've selected the HDMI 1 input on the AVR?

Try the second connection method listed in post #16
Hey so yeah I got the image and sound for the Xbox using the Xbox to avr and tv and receiver connected via arc. But when I want to just want the TV app like Netflix not using the Xbox then there is no audio. And yes I don't know why the Xbox on hdmi 1 with the avr wasn't working but it is now lol.

Jester1066

Have you now turned on ARC in the Yamaha settings as per my previous reply (post #21)

Manjaro

Novice Member
Oh ok I didn't know that. And yeah I am looking at the manual now lol. I was trying to figure out how to get to the setting on the avr but couldn't get it up

Jester1066

Oh ok I didn't know that. And yeah I am looking at the manual now lol. I was trying to figure out how to get to the setting on the avr but couldn't get it up
If you click on the link I posted in post #21, it will take you to the page of the online manual. Scroll down a little & you'll see "setting the use of ARC" click this...

The ARC "on/off" option in the AVR is in:
Setup➡️HDMI➡️ARC

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021