1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Latest LCD/DLP Projectors!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paulherb, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi I currently own a Seleco SVP 400 CRT which I am quite happy with but...... I'e got the upgrade bug.

I've upgraded my lenses to Glass HD145's.
    Ive purchased a Iscan Pro.

Trouble is I am still a bit disappointed with the overall sharpness of my picture. May be its because my 400 only supports 480p max or maybe I'm expecting to much from my 400.

I know that anyone who knows anything about PJs' will tell you that you can not beat a good CRT setup but the latest LCD/DLP pjs' esp from Sharp, Seleco etc support higher resolutions such as 720p.

My question is will say a Sony HT10 have a better/sharper,brighter picture than my 400.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Cheers

PaulHerb

2. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul

I had a Seleco SDG700 and like yourself had the upgrade bug, I saw two demo's of the 10HT and was disappointed. The 10HT is a good projector but I don't think you would want to replace your 400 with it. I eventually decided to go for another CRT (Barco BG808) but even that has it's foibles. I've spent some time with an NEC LT150 to see how DLP compares to CRT and I have to say I prefer the sharpness, brightness and even illumination of the DLP, the downside is that the colour on the LT150 isn't as saturated as CRT and the black level isn't as good either. The real clincher for me at the moment is the 'rainbow' effect, some films don't show much at all and others are virtually unwatchable. If the new breed of faster colour wheels solves the problem for me I may well go that route, both technologies have their compromises, for me panel projectors are very nearly there.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Paul, You've already taken the first two (and most expensive) steps to improving the "sharpness" of the image from your 400. What remains is certain internal tweaks to the tubes and optimising the set-up to get the most out of your projector.

There is a limit to the amount of fine detail that a 400 can resolve, but CRT projectors have a fluid nature to their picture that LCD and DLP projectors lack. If you were to change to an LCD device you would probably see an image with greater apparent sharpness, but much of this is due to gaps between the pixels that artificially exaggerate the effect.

Image brightness would be better from a fixed panel projector, but the black level would suffer. This has the knock-on effect of reducing image contrast.

If you’ve been happy with the picture from your 400, I think it’s going to be difficult for you to give up the black level, shadow detail and depth of colour if you choose to go to a fixed panel projector. I would suggest DLP over LCD, and a Sim2 HT200DM (combined with the iScan) would be your minimum starting point. Possible upgrades on CRT would be an SVP420 combined with your HD145 lenses to make an SVD500. This would definitely give more detail as the 420 uses higher bandwidth electronics. You could also consider a used 8” CRT from Gordon or Roland, though these would be quite a bit bigger than your 400.

Regards

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    With Chris on this.

I have used at home,
    NEC6, 9, 6 EXTRA, Barco600, 800, Sony 1270, ElectrohomeMarquee7500.... oh and a SelecoSVT195

I have also taken home SonyVPL10, PLV30, HT200DM.
    For me I wouldn't have any of the fixed pixel device units at home even although they are undoubtedly sharper than some of the CRT's. The other problems they have outweigh this for me.

I would try one of the new1280 x 720P dlp'S though.

The thing is that everyone has a minimum standard and that it's different for everyone. It looks to me like you have never found that minimum yet. Paul (Fulabeer) went through a similar thing. He had Toshiba, Sony and now Barco. I think at every stage he wanted more and now he seems to have got to a point where he just enjoys watcing films. Surely the whole point of the excercise...

As Chris says, there are little internal tweaks that can be done to these things to make the picture sharper and more detailed. However, before going to the expense of getting someone round to do a full ground up set up perhaps you should stop and seek out a few dems of alternative devices. Look at the HT200DM and its bigger brother. Also consider the 9000 from Sharp and even a Plus Piano if you can find one. Then see if there is someone nearby with a S/H 8" emf focused CRT installation. That would be a NEC XG series, Barco808, SonyG70, Electrohome Marquee...or even something like a NEC6/9 (7.5"). Unless you have become acustomed to very high quality picture replay then I think that one of the above CRT's or perhaps one of those DLP's is likely to knock your socks off.

Hope you get there in the end and that it's fun finding out. Make sure you keep us all informed of your quest.

Gordon

5. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all your advice chaps!!

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    GaryG sums it nicely up for me, my experience seems very similar to his.

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Your questions relates to the lack of sharpness. Is this in the picture content or including things like the menu.

I got a call from someone who was very disapointed with thier sharpness yet when I left it set up I know it was spot on. I later discovered that they were a big fan of old movies and the transefers were truly diabolical.

Check that you can see scan lines.

One thing that the digital devices can't be accuused off is not being sharp however this is often to their detrement as they try to scale and fit each pixel from the Video source onto the pixel of the pannel.

Before you fork out thhousands on a new projector it might be worth spending a bit getting your CRT tuned.

8. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    totally off thread and a long shot here i know,but paul are you the same Paul Herbaut from the fiat coupe forum ?
    anyway more to the point,i`ve looked around at fixed panel pj`s and i am going for the sharp 9000E,check it out against the sim2`s i think you will be impressed,but even then the black level/detail is still not as good as a good crt.

9. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Paulsa,
    Sorry I'm not the same Paul. Thanks fall all your advice lads anyway.

Just another question for Chris Frost if he does not mind. Is it posible to upgrade the insides of my SVP 400 to the insides of a SVP 420 giving me the increase of band width from 12mhz to 20mhz?

Any help would be most welcome!

Cheers

Paul.

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Paul,
    I don't believe it is possible, otherwise Owl would have made an upgrade kit available. However, I've been away from Owl for about six months so it may be worth ringing them (01825 766123) to check if this is still the case. You should ask to speak to someone technical rather than sales as this is a question for the engineers.

Regards

11. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thaks for your reply Chris. Just one more question - Honest.

Does the increased bandwidth of the 500, 20mhz as aposed to 12mhz make a big difference in the picture quality?

Any help would be most welcome.

Cheers

Paulh.

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Good video only needs about 5Mhz bandwidth.

Line doubled or progresive scan 15- 20 Mhz

HDTV anbout 20-30Mhz

VGA about 30Mhz

13. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The extra bandwidth will give you some of the fine detail your looking for.

Regards

14. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks again for all your advice!

Paulh.