Question about KDL-32V2000 warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonJam

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking of buying this LCD from someone, new and boxed. He says there will be a warranty sheet inside the box that I can register and have my full warranty. However, won't I need a receipt also (I guess to prove it's not stolen!) if anything goes wrong?

I am fairly certain the warranty is transferrable - but would suggest before parting with the cash you contact Sony customer services via the web site - that way you will have it in writing!

If at all possible have the model and serial number available.

If the serial number has been removed I would personally not touch it - if you have a warranty failure on these sets the service company has a massive amount of paperwork to process when it is repaired. Sony recommend we take a digital still of the serial plate (amongst other things) to cover ourselves against errors. I would personally not accept for repair a warranty set with a defaced serial plate. I imagine other Sony service engineers would be the same.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I believe the item to be un-opened in its original box. I will ask the seller.

The seller tells me he got it from his insurance company as his old screen was damaged. It took them a long time to replace the item and he bought a new screen in the mean time so is selling this one.

If its a good price, and you can confirm transfer of warranty, then you have a bargain my friend!

Always remember the caveat: Buyer Beware :)

Happy viewing

if you get a fault with the tv no shop will help ie send it away for you. all problems would have to go to sony direct.that could take alot of time and they would probably say go back to the (shop) you got it from.again dont buy if the serial code is gone.find out whos name the warranty is in because only they can take it back to
where its from.ps i work in a sony centre

if it is in a box unopened inside will be a cd which contains all the details of your tv you just put them in you pc fill in your details and thats it the cd contains all serial nos and make and size of tv

cant see sony putting a different cd in every tv they sell.as serial number is unique,not had a proper look, but in most new sony tv's you get a cd inside giving you free 1 years accidental cover,do you mean this?.
Anyway this does not get round the fact sony will still probably say take it back to a shop(its up to them) the reason i say this is because a warranty is with the
shop its from, BUT sony are good when it comes to helping anyone who has one of their products.its 50/50 on this one

no when i put the cd in it came up with all the tv details on screen including serial no dont forget even though sony make a hell of a lot of tvs it only takes seconds to put a serial no on a cd that will have everything else on already it is an automated world

hi again.just wondered where on the disc you found your serial number.i just put
a disc from a 40 s bravia on my pc and it gave no mention of a serial number or even a model number.it asks for you to put this in yourself.not being rude but how did you come up with your conclusion,i have to ask.:confused:

yes the disc contains your model and serial nos put it in pc follow instructions to register online when it comes to the page to put your personal details in if you scroll down page YOU WILL SEE THAT YOUR MODEL NO AND SERIAL NO ARE ALREADY THERE! I rest my case

erm, very odd.ive just put four discs taken out of different sony tvs and not one
has serial codes on them, they do have a list of all sony model numbers to chose
from and input.the screen does not scroll down.so your disc must be a special one that no current sony tv have therefore ur info was out of date/does not apply any more.i rest my case.

table manners pm your address and i will send you my disc so that you can put it in your own cd and you will see what i am saying is right i dont make statements unless i can justify them. the ball is in your court mate or if you dont want to do that i will send it to one of the mods cant be fairer than that can I

Hi all,
The problem with writing something and not saying it is that words can be read many ways...
Tone so far is ok, but please consider your replies for more posts and how they could be read. If anyone wants me to verifiy anything about a disc, I'm more than happy to if the issue hasn't been resolved, I'm just a PM away:thumbsup:

G'night/mornin' all.

Dan.

Hi, I actually read this thread by accident, but if it helps I can confirm the CD I got with my 32" S series (a month ago) had the serial number recorded on it. I've not located it using Windows explorer but when I run the "Register Now" link from the CD, it goes to the Sony Registration website, and the Model Number and Serial Number fields are filled in automatically.

Seems strange Sony would bother TBH (and when I registered mine I double checked the TV itself anyway) ut there you go.....

HTH

i have to laugh.lets clear things up.i did not say that all discs that come with sony tv did not have serial numbers.i said that all discs i have checked did not have this feature on, so your info could be out of date and this could have misled the person that asked about warrantys.it would be a shame if the said tv was brought thinking that all serial info was on the disc and it was not.
was just saying what i know to help.:cool:

i will end this md 644 tv 1month old my tv 2 months old so if they are out of date god help us mods close this thread please thanks

Hi,
Before I close this thread, I wish to confirm you - PoisonJam have or don't have the info you need.
As I see it in response to the OP's question, ask for the serial of the TV you are looking for from the potential seller.
Then email Sony and ask them if they'll honour the warranty on it. From there you'll get it in writing in reply. I'd be very surprised if the serial isn't on a label on the outside of the box with a barcode against it.

All, if this information above is not correct, please advise me gently. The CD matter still doesn't seem to be settled, but the above method may resolve the OP's question regardless of this debated matter.

With regards to the CD's it seems an open matter that is unlikely to be proven by debating each side of things. Only if a CD is found without the serial number encoded to it would this settle this debat, so unless one is available I would suggest each to their own opinion unless proof is available either way.

Hope this sorts this out. Any of the above on this post is open to relaxed discussion.

Kind regards.

Dan.

By this Guarantee, Sony guarantees the product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the date of original purchase for a period of ONE YEAR from that date. The Sony company that provides and will honour this Guarantee is designated in this Guarantee or accompanying leaflets under the country where you seek guarantee service. If within the guarantee period the product is determined to be defective (at the date of original purchase) due to improper materials or workmanship, Sony or an ASN member in the Guarantee Area will, without charge for labour or parts, repair or (at Sony's discretion) replace the product or its defective parts subject to the terms and limitations below. Sony and ASN members may replace defective products or parts with new or refurbished products or parts. All products and parts replaced become the property of Sony.

Which tends to imply the PRODUCT is covered, and the onus is only upon you to prove that its original purchase is within the manufacturers warranty period and to supply those details asked for in the warranty documentation which is available from Sony.co.uk

AGAIN why not simply check with Sony? - get it in writing so you are covered. The CD supplied is an automated registration form - it makes not a jot of difference as far as UK law is concerned. Providing you have proof of purchase, you should be covered, whether it has been REGISTERED means nothing as far as the guarantee is concerned...

Just unpacked three Bravias from our stock room - the cds are factory stamped and do not include product identity. Cannot see how they could do it to be honest. The cost would be prohibitive. As we all know, master CDs are stamped from a die. The only way to do it cheaply would be with CDR media I would have thought....

The only Sony appliance I could think that would be able to identify serial etc would be the Vaio PC and Laptops :)

Ok, as we have an official sony warranty quote and answer and the OP's question, I will be closing this thread now as it has served it's purpose.

PoisonJam:
Please source the serial number in writing from the seller. Then email Sony customer services/warranty line and ask if still in warranty and what date that warranty ends. They should then provide the answer in a return email and therefore you can make a purchase decision based around that.

Hoping this helps.

Dan.

Note:

If it's any help for future reference, there's an official Sony response via email to advise the offical line:

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Following our telephone conversation, please find below confirmation of what was previously discussed.

It is correct that the registration disc should hold the model and serial number of the unit. This is because each disc is individually assigned to the television that it is packaged with.

I hope that this information is of assistance to you. However, please do not hesitate to contact us again with any further enquiries that may occur.

Regards

Shaun Hornsby
For and on behalf of
Sony united Kingdom Limited

Regards,

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back