1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about JVC AV28WT5

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kirodesign, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Kirodesign

Kirodesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a JVC AV28WT5. Can anyone tell me if I can change the aspect ratio between 4:3 and 16:9 when displaying an RGB signal?

I ask because my current TV (a 32 inch Goodmans widescreen) will not let me display an RGB signal in any ratio other than 16:9 so playing my PS2 or XBOX is useless as most of the games are in 4:3 so if I want to play them usuing RGB they are stretched. I have S-Video leads but the Goodmans has really ropey S-Video.

Also, can the JVC handle NTSC and has it got an auto adjust so it changes the screen ratio depending on what (16:9 / 4:3) is being broadcast? (another feature that my rubbishy Goodmans doesn't do!

This is my first post on these forums so hopefully someone will take pity on me and help me out!

Thanks, :confused:

2. Titan28

Titan28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know this set can display an NTSC signal and also auto adjusts if it picks up a widescreen signal.... had a quick look on the JVC website and looking at the manual for your set I'd say you should be able to switch between 4:3/16:9 when displaying an RGB input.

Best thing to do when you're buying your set is to find a retailer who knows his stuff and take your PS2 in and have a fiddle with the JVC..... you can then answer all your questions before splashing the cash.....

Hope this helps..... :)

3. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a tip - don't buy JVC!

Every JVC product I've bought (TV, Video) etc. has been substandard from the start. Think Sony or Philips and you'll be on the right track in no time.

Goodmans - lol!:p

4. Kirodesign

Kirodesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Titan28 - Thanks for the reply. Your advice is much appreciated. I went to the JVC website and checked out the downloadable manuals, something I had missed when I was trying to research it.

Barry_X - This isn't the sort of advice I was looking for. I know Sony are the best, but they are way out of my price range. But thanks for slagging me off. I knew I signed up to this forum for a reason.

I'd still appreciate any (sensible) advice anyone else could offer.

5. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I'm not flaming - just giving an opinion. Nothing I say will stop you buying exactly what you want - but an extra £100 or so spent on a Sony over a JVC is worth it IMO.

Have you thought about Bush, Alba or maybe a Daewoo model? lol ;)

6. Kirodesign

Kirodesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Barry_X. I've got £500. I want a 28" widescreen. WSS signalling. Dedicated S-Video on the front or back. At least 2 scarts one or more of which must be RGB. I must be able to change the ration of an RGB signal from 4:3 to 16:9. No need for flat screen, or dolby pro-logic.

Name a Phillips or Sony that matches my criteria.

Oh, and by the way - what car do you drive?

7. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't because you want too much for the money you are prepared to pay. Wait a while and save up some more and then go Sony hunting...

BTW. I don't drive, I am chauffeur driven..... ;)

8. Titan28

Titan28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try the Philips 28PW6515..... empiredirect.co.uk have them for £549. Bit over budget but I had a 32PW6515 which gave a fantastic picture especially on the PS2/DVD front but had a problem with 'tea staining' - although this only really is a problem on the 32" version so they say...... nice looking set too.... it really does pay to go to a local retailer, stay clear of the Dixons etc brigade tho and have a good play even if you don't end up buying from them.

9. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why recommend a TV that you had a problem with Titan, surely that's even less helpful than my first post. :eek:

Anyway Kiro, IMO you should wait and save up a bit before buying a TV, even a bottom of the range Sony is going to be better than a £500 JVC model. I think you could probably start looking at a figure of about £800 for a reasonable Sony widescreen...........

10. Kirodesign

Kirodesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Titan28 - What's tea staining? I'm quite happy to go to £550 if it's based on a recommendation.

11. Kirodesign

Kirodesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry_X - Why don't you actually read his post? He didn't recommend the model that he had the problem with now did he?

And another thing Barry_X, what TV do you own?

12. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tea staining is similar to coffee staining but not as smelly!:devil:

Actually, I have re-read Titan post and he's not recommending the same telly that had the 'tea staining' so ignore what I said (you have I know).

Still think you should wait and save up a bit more. What's the hurry?

13. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beat me to it. lol!

I got a Sony (obviously)

14. Titan28

Titan28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tea staining is colour imperfections in the corners..... it seems more noticable on some sets than others...... like i said it seemed to be a problem more on the 32" sets..... all the 28" 6515 i looked at were ok....although no doubt someone will say that there 28" 6515 had tea staining..... :rolleyes:

I would recommend the 28" 6515 tho..... like i said.... i was really impressed with the 32" one i had bar the already mentioned..... and if the 28" doesn't have as severe a problem then it's a good set...... go and have a look at one next time u get chance..... compare it to the JVC and see what you think.

Try this link to have a look at the philips....

http://www2.consumer.philips.com/gl...bCatId=28INCHWIDESCREEN&productId=28PW6515_05

Buying a tv really is all down to personal taste. :)

15. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Titan is absolutely right. The term 'tea-staining' is based on an effect caused when there is a problem with the Beam Landing and Convergence which, when out of line, can cause a darkening of the corners or sometimes on the edge of the screen. This can usually be rectified by entering the Service Mode on the TV or may be adjustable with the OSD (depending on the TV). The effect is usually created by a electro-magnetic force nearby (ie. speaker) but can be compensated for using the adjustments feature......

16. Titan28

Titan28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people are going to read that and go :eek:

.....but I couldn't have said it better myself Barry_X ;)

17. Kirodesign

Kirodesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gentlemen, this thread has now deviated from it's original point, so I shall bid you adeiu. I have the answer I was looking for, so I thanks Titan28 for his help and Barry_X for his humour.

You never know Barry_X - I might just save my pennies and get a Sony. (If I end up returning my JVC) ;)