1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about HS50 aspect ratios

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by alanfcross, Feb 8, 2005.

1. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re the HS50, I've read: "When HDTV or Computer signals are displayed, no aspect ratio choices are available. All HDTV is 16:9 aspect ratio, so this is done to simplify use and prevent improper user choices. Some computer users will complain about the lack of flexibility and wish that aspect ratio choices were allowed in computer modes."
    The statement is slightly ambiguous, so my question is, can this pj project a 4:3 computer image without distorting it to 16:9? I want black sidebars!
    Having been wooed by DLP contrast, but underwhelmed by talk of rainbows, a theoretical contrast ratio of 6000:1 in an LCD has to be worth thinking about. I just need accurate computer display just as much as I need cinema input.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    If the graphics card is outputting 1280 x 720, you can tell the DVD software to send it whatever the ratio of the movie is. 4:3 will be pillarboxed, and 16:9 or 2.35:1 will be shown within the screen as they should be.

The latest versions of PowedDVD and WinDVD will do this automatically for you for example.

Gary.