1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about how VCR-in works

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by doctorjuggles, May 17, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've recently tried to hook my VCR up to my Yamaha RX-V1500. The VCR only has scart out, so I'm using a Scart to composite+2phono cable into the receiver.
    Problem is, I can only get sound with no video, but the weird thing is that I get a split second of video when I press a function key on the VCR. (So as I press play I see video, which disappears a split second later, then if I pause, another split second of video and so on.)
    All the time, though, the sound will be working.

Is this because the VCR doesn't output to composite video, or is there something wrong with the receiver?

If it's the VCR, will buying a scart to s-video help?

Thanks for any help

2. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Hi,

Just got a RX-V1500 myself and have been connecting it up over the last couple of days so definitely not an expert on it! How are you connecting to your TV from the Yamaha; Composite, S Video or Component? If anything other than composite (which I'm sure it isn't), have you got 'video up-conversion' turned on? (i.e. converting any composite video to S Video and Component). Also, do you know what your video format the VCR outputs ---- definitely composite or is it an S-VHS machine ---- maybe some even output RGB, I'm not sure about that.

3. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey dicklodge.
    Yeah, I have video up-convert turned on. Should have mentioned that I have an Xbox running through it and it works perfectly.
    Connections run as follows:
    DVD player -> component-in -> amp -> component-out -> plasma
    Xbox -> composite-in -> amp -> upconvert to component-out -> plasma
    Sky -> anologue stereo out -> amp -> sound
    Sky -> RGB-out -> JSTech scart to VGA convert. -> plasma
    VCR -> scart to composite cable -> amp -> component upconvert -> plasma

As you can see, I have a bit of a mix of everything, and it's only the VCR I have a problem with, which leads me to strongly suspect that it's the VCR, but I'm just trying to find out if the output of the VCR determines whether a scart to composite signal would work.
    I don't still have the manual (it's an Aiwa FX2800) so how do I know if it's composite or S-VHS? Are there some tests or tell tale signs I can spot (aside from the composite signal not seeming to work.)

Thanks

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    make sure your scart cable is wired correctly (try it with your dvd or something) as a scat has an in and an out for all (stereo sound, composite and s-video and i think these may be combined to get rgb). So if the video out is connected to the video in pin it could cause a problem.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    VCRs only output composite, unless you have a S-VHS deck that gives you composite and S-Video.

Check the Scart cable, if I am not mistaken such Scart cables are directional and you may have gotten the wrong type.
    Or perhaps the upconversion doesn't work / struggles with the signal from the VCR. Perhaps try connecting the composite video from the VCR to another composite input (e.g. where your X-Box is currently connected since that input is known to work). Does that work?

According to here the Aiwa FX2800 seems to be a standard VCR only, so S-Video wouldn't work.

6. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the help so far, people. Really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

It was a freebie cheapie, I've just hooked it up to try and see if I can get it working before I lay out any real dosh on a cable. Oddly, it has a little switch on the scart plug itself. I wonder if that's supposed to change the flow of direction? No matter, obviously I tried it out to see if it made any difference, which it didn't, but there's every chance that the switch does something else. Safe to say that this thing isn't going to get working with this cable either way.
    I can't think of another solution other than to go and buy a proper cable. Hopefully it will work.

I actually tried this yesterday, don't know why I never thought of it before. No, it doesn't work. I get the same results, audio, but with only the first split second of video. So I think we can safely rule out the receiver as the problem.

Wow, never even thought to look at the homecinemachoice reviews. Well at least that rules out anything but composite. Thanks for that.

As a side note, can you believe the prices of VCRs back then? Haha! £260 for a budget player that performs okay?

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Normally that switch would change the direction (IN/OUT). Strange that it doesn't work in one of the positions.
    Before paying for a new cable I would see if you could borrow one, just to make sure it's really the cable.

That said have you tried to connect the AV amp via composite to your plasma? Also try connecting the VCR directly to the plasma, using composite. This way you may be able to narrow down the problem.

Good luck!